Upgrading sump. . .

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

krisfal

and I have a couple of questions.

First the plan:
I am replacing my 29g sump with a 55g sump for my 130g display, mostly so I can get a refugium area in the sump. I have put together the sump and am ready to do the plumbing. The sump has the intake and skimmer section on one end and the refugium on the other, both dumping into the center return area. I picked up this idea from here: http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/f/sump_f.html

That site shows t'ing off the intake to feed the refugium; however I am thinking I will just add a second intake from the tank to feed the refugium. I have a bigger pump laying around that I can use for the return (mag 24).

I am figuring the increase in flow will be about 300-350gph (difference between old and new return pump w/ estimated head loss). So my question is :confused:if I use a simple siphon set up to feed the refugium what size pipe should I use to get that much water flow? I will put a valve in so I can fine tune the flow, but I am hoping I can get away with a 1 inch pipe so it would be less obtrusive in the tank, but I need enough water to feed the bigger pump.

The second question is is 300-350gph to much flow for the refugium? If so I would probably just tee the second intake and dump some of the flow directly into the return area.

Thanks in advance for some advice:)

Back