used tank w/ sand still in it

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Gillstorm

Hi all,

Just scored a great 80 gal custom bowfront and FULL set-up, for my very first saltwater attempt. The tank needs a GOOD cleaning. The tank has been down 2 months, but there is still sand in the bottom, and a bit of water still above the sand. My question to you experts, is the sand salvageable? And if so, what is the best way to take it out, preserve it, and clean the tank? There is also a little bit of live rock left. It is starting to smell too. I appreciate any advice. Thanks!

You are better off to just toss the old sand out. Start off with a clean slate. Old sand holds lots of undesirables. You can cycle the live rock in a pail, or tub depending on how much you have.

And welcome to the club :)

The sand is salvageable but you do need to be carefull with it. It "does" have alot of dead stuff and probably some live stuff still living in it. If you do decide to use the sand again, it needs to be thouroghly cleaned so no dead or living organisms remain.

Or if you have the extra money you could just throw it out and go buy new stuff.

If you want to use it... Fill the tank with fresh water and stir it up real good. let the detritus settle and the vacuum it off the top... Since it is your first tank, I say mix up your saltwater in a trash can, once you get the salinity at the proper level add it to your tank, stir it up real good, at this point I like to run a over the back filter with som good pads. In the morning, evening whenever the water clears, unplug the filter and clean it out in fresh water. Put it back on the tank and stir it up again... repeat until it no longer clouds... If the previous tank was established with life a lot of the critters will hatch and give you tank an excellent start. Even if the sand is black and smelly it will still cycle back in. Word of caution sometime a non reef tank (fish only) may have been treated with Copper. I am not sure but I believe you can test for that, just in case. After about a week you should feed your tank a little pinch of flake for the little copepods to eat...Good luck... Vince

Funny I just used 78 lbs of used sand ..My tank is 4 yrs old I used a 5x12 pan and 10 lbs at a time rinsed it till clear as a bell then dried for 48 hrs then added slowly! this is kevpo way nothing peram changed !!!!!!!!!hope this helps good luck !

I had 20 pounds of used sand sitting on my shelf for 3 years. Put it in when I cooked the rock and no issues.

Since this is your first tank Cooking rock is when you set up your tank put your rock in the tank and let the tank run for a month so the rocks can cure. This does not mean put in a pot of hot water and boil.

I put my rock in and let it sit for a day and then added the sand. Waited 30 days and added a fish or two. waited another 2 weeks and added more fish and coral.

Back