User tips for Vortech MP40

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mfinn

Surgeonfish
I just picked up 2 of the MP40ES and I was wondering if anyone had some tips for using these guy's that isn't explained in the manual.

What's good to do,,, what's not good to do, etc.

mode wise, I like the lagoon mode option. Seems to spend the most time in the higher flow ranges.

I will use these on my 240 gallon soft coral tank and these will be replacing a pair of seio 1500's on a controller and a koralia 6.
So the softies are use to alot of flow.
I want which ever mode that will ramp up from the minimum to approx 3/4 of max on a slow cycle.

you should be able to get what ever flow you need out of it. You can always dial back from full power and the mode still runs the same without peaking above the max flow that you set. the lagoon mode is sort of a slow and steady rate of flow without the chaotic up and down of reef mode. Pulse mode might work for you also since you have all that space to get a good wave going.

I don't think the manual tells you how to do a reset when blinking red....some sort of error. I thought it was broken.....but found info how to reset on the internet.
My great husband also tidy up the wire by hooking it to a clip and velco controller to the side of the tank. No more controller sitting on the counter or dangling.

f4896d87-1.jpg

Yeah, I have to figure out a good spot for the controllers.

Keep the tips coming.:)

I want to know everything I can before I plug them in.
Heck these guys cost more than my tank did.:eek:

They have a shorter life span on parts if you run them on the pulse mode constantly. It's cheaper to buy the pieces to fix them when they break then the new wet assemblies as a whole. The rusting out on the older models will be replaced for free if you send the pieces back. They will rust out, the impellers will seize, the inner plastic piece chips where the impeller goes through it pretty regularly and customer support is less then great. Other then that they move a ton of water and run relatively quiet and take up less space in your display :) I've had more trouble with these pumps in the long run on the 18 tanks that I take care of then anything else (except maybe the Aquaillumination LEDS)
Oh yeah and if you get the battery backup make sure to get the new cable as the old ones were recalled for fire hazard.

They have a shorter life span on parts if you run them on the pulse mode constantly. It's cheaper to buy the pieces to fix them when they break then the new wet assemblies as a whole. The rusting out on the older models will be replaced for free if you send the pieces back. They will rust out, the impellers will seize, the inner plastic piece chips where the impeller goes through it pretty regularly and customer support is less then great. Other then that they move a ton of water and run relatively quiet and take up less space in your display :) I've had more trouble with these pumps in the long run on the 18 tanks that I take care of then anything else (except maybe the Aquaillumination LEDS)
Oh yeah and if you get the battery backup make sure to get the new cable as the old ones were recalled for fire hazard.

How many of these pumps do you have to maintain?

I used to run my pumps on Reef Crest mode and since you want to run from minimums up to 3/4 speed I believe this will suit your needs. I now run Lagoon mode because that keeps the pumps running at higher speeds for longer periods of time and the changes are less rapid than the Reef Crest mode. Other than that the only bit of advice I have is to make sure that you do the separation cal when you install them and I'd run the cords just the opposite of the picture above. You want to run the cords up from the pump motor and secure them so that if the two halves do separate the cord will keep the motor falling to the floor. Good pumps; I think you'll be happy.

Mike

does anyone have the new ES model?
My instructions sheet is for the older gen 2. The newer ES driver box has more buttons than the gen 2.

Having used the 20 and 40s . From my experience the 40 will suck alot of surface water/air at top speed anything higher than 5'' from the surface and you will get tons of micro bubbles from it and the 20 I wouldn't put it less than 3'' from the surface.

the way in which you actually orient the wetside affects how much air it pulls in. You'll notice that there is a thicker plastic part in the grate and that is what you need to rotate to move it closer to the surface. As for how many of these pumps I maintain...i would say somewhere in the range of 22-25. I can't remember if a couple of the tanks have 1 or 2. I've had to replace almost every wet assembly in the last 3 months. Most of the units were between 1 and 2 years old.

the way in which you actually orient the wetside affects how much air it pulls in. You'll notice that there is a thicker plastic part in the grate and that is what you need to rotate to move it closer to the surface. As for how many of these pumps I maintain...i would say somewhere in the range of 22-25. I can't remember if a couple of the tanks have 1 or 2. I've had to replace almost every wet assembly in the last 3 months. Most of the units were between 1 and 2 years old.

I had a feeling you had a butt load of them..

Thanks for the tip.:)

Back