Using a Dwyer Questions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

csababubbles

I have a rmb with stainless steel valve model. Can someone please tell me how to use this to measure my skimmer pumps? The airline to the pump is a 3/8 inch inner diameter tube. The dwyer has two holes, one on top and one on bottom. If I attach the tube that goes to the skimmer pump tothe top hole, it fits in tightly but does fit, and it sucks in air which causes the little ball to rise. If I turn the big knob on the bottom all the way it stops the ball from rising. If I open it a little it rises again. Is this how I use it to measure my pump? Or do I stick the pump tube into the bottom hole? It won't fit into that one, it looks like I have to use a ro/di tubing as an adapter if I wanted to use the bottom hole.

So how do I use it? Something a little curious, I got two pumps that are supposed to each pull over 40 scfh and if I put the tube into the upper hole it only reads 20 scfh for each of them. Is it because I am using the meter wrong or the pumps are messed up?

You have it right. The valve just controls the flow so leave it wide open. The meters are really designed to measure incomming flow from a regulated air source like a co2 bottle or oxygen generator. So connected backwards they will measure vacuum.
As far as your skimmers go the numbers your seeing vs "specs" is fairly common. Alot of skimmer makers and folks that are into mods tought big numbers. Alot of the time these numbers are read with the pump just submerged in water not connected to the skimmer body. You can pretty much count on the the Dwyer Rate Master meter being about 25% higher than actual so your 20 is closer to 16. Make sure you keep the suction side awy from the sump so that it doesnt fill with salt creep.

Don

LakeEd, thanks the for link but I already found that site during my search and it does not have the info I am looking for.

DonW, thanks to you as well for the info. Glad I got it right. One thing though, those scfh numbers (40+) I was telling you was from other people with the same skimmer and measuring it in the same manner as I was (connected to skimmer body, etc), so it seems my pumps needs a little re-meshing.

Am I missing a piece for the upper hole because I can directly stick a 3/8" tube in there and get a reading without any sort of adaptors and such?

LakeEd, thanks the for link but I already found that site during my search and it does not have the info I am looking for.

DonW, thanks to you as well for the info. Glad I got it right. One thing though, those scfh numbers (40+) I was telling you was from other people with the same skimmer and measuring it in the same manner as I was (connected to skimmer body, etc), so it seems my pumps needs a little re-meshing.

Am I missing a piece for the upper hole because I can directly stick a 3/8" tube in there and get a reading without any sort of adaptors and such?

I cant tell you how to fix the skimmer but as long as the hose stays in the hole I guess you can go without the hose adapter. Its really up to you, the adapter just makes a more secure install.
Alot of what you get as far as reading will depend on the density of the air and moisture content with that sort of flow meter. Just use it as a guide not actual measurment.

Don

Don

That's what I am saying about the adapter. The hose fits in perfectly in the top hole and very tight. But the bottom hole is different. It has a little metal insert that looks like it would need an adapter to connect to a 3/4" hose. Are both holes supposed to look the same?

That's what I am saying about the adapter. The hose fits in perfectly in the top hole and very tight. But the bottom hole is different. It has a little metal insert that looks like it would need an adapter to connect to a 3/4" hose. Are both holes supposed to look the same?

You can just leave the other end open or you can add a fitting to run another hose.

Don

alright sounds good. thanks for the help! im sure you helped out "apollothesun" too.

Back