Using Kalkwasser?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NanaReefer

I would like to start using Kalkwasser in my small mixed reef. Without the use of a reactor or stirrer. But by adding it directly to my 5g ATO reservoir, via a jbj ato and a lifter pump.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

I forget why, but having a kalk mix exposed to the air is not as effective as having it in a sealed container. Having said that I've done it the way your describing. You need to stir the extra kalk off the bottom every day if your diligent. But most important is figuring out how to not pump the slurry from the bottom of the ATO tank into the display tank.

I forget why, but having a kalk mix exposed to the air is not as effective as having it in a sealed container. Having said that I've done it the way your describing. You need to stir the extra kalk off the bottom every day if your diligent. But most important is figuring out how to not pump the slurry from the bottom of the ATO tank into the display tank.

Hey Trido, I was thinking of doing the same thing. I have a ten gallon tank as my top off reservoir and my auto top off running through a Tom's Aqualifter pump. I saw on Marine Depot video about this and I emailed them about my set up. They said not to get the stuff that had settled to the bottom. Is this because the concentration is too thick or what. I told them I have an air stone to keep the water circulating and I have an Aqueon HOB Filter to keep the water clean.They said it would work okay but not to let the top off suck the Kalkwasser solution from the bottom. I am moving in July to Olalla, over in Kitsap County and I want to set up my aquarium over there. But I was thinking of adding Kalkwassser and I heard that dosing from the top off tank was the simplest. I can't afford a Kalkwasser reactor and thought this would work. Your or anybody else's thoughts.

My ATO reservoir has a lid. I've a small hole drilled into the top just big enough for the airline tubing to fit.
Anyways a friend has offered to sell me a Tunze Osmolator Calcium Dispenser 5074. Hopefully it's cheap enough :) So thats most likely the way I'll go.
Thanks for your reply :)

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

The ten gallon tank I am using has a lid and I wrapped a black garbage bag around the tank so algae doesn't grow in it, Then I have a hole for my airstone and a hole for my ato line.

I use pickling lime (Ms. Wages). I have a 5 gallon plastic carboy (the kind you buy at the grocery store next to the RO water dispenser) that I dissolve 5 tsp lime into fresh water. Mix the lime in, and let any excess settle to the bottom. Use just the clear water as your top-off water - this is a saturated solution of CaHO, and adding the sediment to the tank is unnecessary. Pickling lime is cheap enough, just dump the sediment when the carboy is empty and refill with new water and lime. The ATO pump I use is an aqualifter, but with a prefilter to try to keep suspended sediment out of the pump.

Strange as this may sound....I cannot find (Ms. Wages) pickling lime anywhere around me. When I ask an employee at the stores, they don't even know what I'm talking about!! lol

I wasn't able to find it at any grocery store, but finally found it at an Ace Hardware store. Amazon has it too.

Back