uv steralizer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

lonewolf319

Just bought a turbo twist 3X uv sterilizer and would like to know the best way to set it up. I have a maxijet 900 to use with it. diagrams or pictures would help to decide how I want to set it up.
:confused: :)

4.gif

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

Is this going to be mounted on the tank, the sump? I haven't used the UV Sterilizer you are posting about, but I found these instructions on Premium Aquatic's website:

Instructions:
To accommodate the Turbo-Twist 3X UV sterilizer, you will need a powerhead, pump or canster fliter that has a flow rate between 50 and 200 gallons per hour. It is recommended that a pre-filter be used with the pump to limit the amount of debris entering the sterilizer. Use mounting bracket to hang Turbo-Twist on the outside of aquarium or sump, positioning the unit so that water can be easily returned to system. The sterilizer should be postinioned so that the cord end is at the top of the unit. The Turbo-Twist is fitted with 1/2" and 5/8" hose barbs to make hose connections easier. If 1/2" barb is desired, make sure O-ring is placed on the 5/8" barb and thead 1/2" barb over 5/8" barb. Note: Hose-barbs and hose-lock-nuts require only hand-tightening. Use flexible tubing to connect to water source. Once tubing is connected and properly positioned, turn on the water pump and check for leaks. Once water flow has been established, connect the sterilizer to the power supply.

You may also want to check out this link: UV Sterilizers and another: Coralife Turbo-Twist UV Sterilizer

The slower the flow thru the unit, then the more the UV will eliminate. The maximum flow for a maxijet 900 is 230 g/h at zero head. IMO, you will want to go with a smaller powerhead....since the turbo twist says maximum flow rate thru this unit should be up to 200 g/h, with a minimum of 50 g/h. You might be better off going with the maxijet 400 or 600 depending on how much head you will have going to the unit. Does this make sense?

Still a little confused

I am still a little confused. I will go with the maxijet 600. I am trying to prevent having a lot of stuff hanging on the back of the tank. I was thinking of mounting it on the center brace of my stand. still need help

Back