UV Sterilizers

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ichthys

I am thinking about adding a UV Sterilizer to my 150 gallon system and thought I would post to ask members experience with them, the good the bad and the ugly?

I run the 18w coralife UV sterilizer, so far so good. I cant think of anything bad to say about it, some say it may kill pods though I've not had a problem with that in my 90g. I can't say exactly what effect it had as I upgraded my skimmer to a BM curve 7 and added a OBD Bio-pellet reactor around the same time but all together it has drastically improved my water quality and rid me of a little GHA & cyano problem I had sprouting. My glass stays cleaner longer too. Hope this helps.

Where do people typically place a UV in the plumbing. I am thinking of using the outflow of my Two Little Fishies carbon reactor to feed it. Plus or minuses to this? I like to minimize the number of pumps in my system, I have a greatly overpowered return pump which I will be replacing when the new Waveline DC12000 comes out, however that pump will still be to much for my overflows so I could conceivable tee off of the return and feed a carbon reactor and a UV sterilizer.

Last edited:
Icthys, I have a 80w (2 40w bulbs) on my 375g..I love it....this is a matter of personal preference and is a debate in this hobby...to me, either you are a FAN and love it OR you are totally against it...there is no middle ground here... In case you missed it, I am including a link to Lee's article on UVs: http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f15/uv-u-me-37925/ You are more than welcome to swing by and see my setup which includes UV, bio pellet reactor, and Ozone reactor..

I would also be interested in the best place to have the input and output for the UV. I run mine with the input and output in the skimmer chamber, kill stuff then skim it out and repeat was my thinking.

Input is T'd off my main return pump then output is on top of a bulkhead on my main display.

Chris, that is probably the best scenario IMHO locating the outlet of a UV Sterilizer near intake or same chamber as Skimmer. When I ran that unit on my QT it was setup right next to my HOB Skimmers intake.... Kill it >>>>> Skim it

Cheers, Todd

I am leaning towards a Lifeguard Aquatics 25 watt UV unit which Becca can order for me at OBD. Any comments on this unit?

I've never ran one on my reef tank but can say that they do work. When I ran one on my koi pond in the front yard I had less than half the amount of GHA in it all summer long.

Chris, that is probably the best scenario IMHO locating the outlet of a UV Sterilizer near intake or same chamber as Skimmer. When I ran that unit on my QT it was setup right next to my HOB Skimmers intake.... Kill it >>>>> Skim it

Cheers, Todd
That's very logical.

Back