Vertex Skimmer increased performance

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

IPisces

Is there anything I can or should do to increase the performance of a Vertex IN-80 Skimmer? It will be use on a 55 gal tank with a few fish, LR & SPS, in a 20 gal sump w/refugium.

i have read in some places that those skimmer rating are ACTUALLY what there rated for instead of all the other skimmers over rating themselfs b ut im no experting and modding doesnt hert anything

I think the newer models have the pump on it's side and direct inject without an elbow into the skimmer body...that's another 20% right there, and you could do that with your current model, just ditch the elbow and see if that gets you the extra power your looking for...
but because of the neck size, and pump, I say dont bother mesh modding on that model

I will keep this in mind. It seems to be working pretty well now that it has been running for a few days. Will see how it does after I finally get the tank set up.
Thanks for your input.

With the rep of the resun pump's I wouldn't suggest meshmodding it cuz if you do and it burns up your out a pump because the warranty would be void. They pull a decent amt of air as is so I'd just leave it be.

I wouldn't mod with the pump either since it's a Resun. Other than turning the pump on its side and eliminating the elbow like skimster suggested, I don't think there's much you can do on this skimmer to improve the performance. I'd leave it.

I think we told Jonathan this before on the "other" forum to relay that message to you but we know how J. is :lol:

I think we told Jonathan this before on the "other" forum to relay that message to you but we know how J. is :lol:[/QUOTE]

He did tell me a week or so ago. That was after I posted this question. He's been extremely helpful. Everyone here has been too. I am kind of sorry to see him getting rid of his aquarium.

No worries, it's just a break and won't be permanent. He's addicted to the "disease" and it won't be too long before he gets back into it again.

J. and his son just left my place infact and he's certainly looking much better health-wise.

Back