Very low electricity tank, here's how I did it

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

csababubbles

Here is a quick run-down on how I am able to run a 220 gallon full-blown reef tank for just a few bucks a month for electricity. Maybe some of you guys can use what I do to save some money.

Lighting: T5 fluorescent fixtures with individual reflectors and electronic ballasts. Approx 320 watts including ballast efficiency. 8 hours a day. After running 12 hr days for 4-5 years I cut back to 8 hrs and see no notable difference. Colors and growth are still excellent. Growth rate may have slown down but I see no visible difference. And even if I did it would be a good thing because then I could finally stop trimming every week. Tanks run out of space pretty quickly, so pushing growth is not always what its cracked up to be.

Circulation:
Return pump: 65 watts (900gph) Ocean Runner. No reason to get a big energy wasting return pump. OR are very efficient and cheap to boot.

Internal pumps: Six Tunze 6025 @ 1200 gph each @ 7 watts each = 42 watts for 7200 gph of internal circulation. Super efficient and move a lot of water.

Running kalk through my Tunze Osmolator, so it doubles up as an ATO as well the kalkwater addition mechanism. No need for stirrers or any kind of circulation pumps in kalk reservoir. Just mix it, cover it, and your set until you have to fill up again.

13 watt refugium light (CF from home depot)

Carbon and Phosphate reactors are both connected to my return piping so that I don't have to get additional pumps to run them, just using the return pump that is already in use. Just add a small ball valve so you can adjust the flow rate.

Heaters, I use none. My sumps are well insulated and have tops on them so this helps keep a lot of heat in. Most people run a couple of 200 watt heaters in a tank this size. On the other side, my tank never over heats because I have high efficient internal powerheads, a small return pump, and no additional pumps for the reactors, and no metal halides so I don't have to worry about adding fans to increase evaporation nor worry about needing a chiller.

Skimmer is a Tunze Master DOC needlewheel skimmer rated up to 1057 gallon. Runs of 46 watts!

So altogether I am running 150 watts continuously and 330 watts 8 hrs a day. Its like running a couple of extra light bulbs in the house. Costs just pennies a day.

Last edited:
Good green setup but it cost a bundle on the Tunzes, to save the daily electricity. Think I will try cutting back a bit on my photo period too.

Good green setup but it cost a bundle on the Tunzes, to save the daily electricity. Think I will try cutting back a bit on my photo period too.

the tunze 6025 cost $60 each. 6 x 60 = $360. less then the cost of a single vortec and i can put them all around the tank instead of a single place. flow is multifold better then the powerheads of the old days that shoot out a tiny jet of water. 1200 gph each is fantastic for such a small size and price.

if you think about it what are the 3 most important equipment? skimmer, lighting and water movement right? im sure almost everyone here spent at least $350 on a skimmer or lighting fixtures/bulbs, so why be cheap about internal powerheads? it's one of the top three equipment!

Last edited:
yup nano 6025. just cut out the inner shroud (takes 1 minute) and you get almost double the flow.

its a real long thread. basically your cutting out the inside of the pump cover because it restricts the water intake. once you cut it out the flow is well over 1000 gph.

I saved some $$ on power by using my skimmer pump as my return pump. The skimmer sits higher than the tank on a shelf in the garage (high ceilings). I made a "thing" that attaches to the skimmer output out of 4" PVC. Well I can tell this will be long if I try to explain....The thing I made eliminates the micro bubbles. If anyone wants details I will draw a pic.

Back