VHO Light questions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SDW

I have VHO lighting 4 48 inch lights (2 actinic & 2 white) lights over my 90 gal aquarium and I have been noticing that some of my coral is starting to brown a bit. Mostly the zoas, and the outer ring seems kinda whispy. Sorry if that is the wrong term, anyway, I am wondering if it is because I don't have MH lighting and shouldn't be moving into the corals or should I have more whites and only one actinic? I read somewhere on the internet that PC are better than VHO for reef. Thanks for advice. PS. I have been watching for some MH, but cannot find anything either close enough or in my price range.

Well, it's not because you don't have MH lighting. MH lighting isn't required to grow most any corals. T5HO will grow corals very well, and I've seen tanks with VHO that grew corals great!! Zoanthids, in particular, don't really require high intensity lighting either. What Kelvin rating are each of your bulbs? You can go with non actinic bulbs that will still give you a bluer look.

Another thing I'd suggest that could be your problem, is your skimmer, or amount of nutrients in your water. In the past, I've had issues with corals "browning out" and blamed my lighting. In the end, it was a crappy skimmer I was running. Shortly after upgrading my skimmer, I saw major improvements in color.

I have a turbofloater (sp) and have wondered that as well. It seems to produce lots of skimmate, but have noticed most hobbiests on here use bigger/better ones. I know the white is 12000K, but the actinic I cannot find a Kelvin rating. I would like to just upgrade the whole system :D

Also remember that the actinics are basically there for color and really serve no purpose for coral growth:)

It has been about 9 months so maybe that is playing a role in the corals too. I was thinking about using 3 whites this next go round and only 1 actinic. What do you guys think? One problem with doing that is that the lights are on a timer so the actinics come on an hour earlier and go off an hour later than the whites.

I found this type of light bulb, what do you think:
75.25 (Kelvin Temperature 14,000) is the first of its kind to offer a 75/25 combination of Actinic and White phosphors. 180° internal reflector allows 40% more light output. This very bright white bulb is a high performance upgrade, great for coral, live rock, and related marine life. Of course with my ballasts I would have 2 on one ballast and 1 + 1 Actinic on the other.....Thanks for all the help Michael BTW (You rock!)

When I had VHO's I used URI 10Ks & one Actinic looked great, not the bluest but corals seemed to grow better. One of the things you should consider is the height off the water their mounted, I wouldn't go any higher than 6" to get the most out of your lamps. VHO's at one time was the best of the best & are well proven over time! :D

At 9 months youre going to see drop off for sure. The amount of hours per day and the ballast you drive them with also has part to play in how much life you'll get out of each lamp.

Thanks for all the great advice. I think I'm gonna replace the lights with maybe an additional white and one less actinic and see what happens :)

Back