Vlamingi or Lopezi tang

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BARRON

I bought this as a vlamingi but from what I heard they grow really fast, up to an inch a month. It's grown about an inch in 6 months so I'm wondering if it might be a lopezi. Does anyone know how to tell the difference? I appreciate any input.
IMG_1181.jpg

Vlamingi juvenile. I have one and no they dont grow an inch a month. mine has gone from 3" to 7" in just over a year. and he gets feed very well.
Very pretty fish.

it is a juvenile vlamingi tang. very pretty fish, but as you know. they get huge. what size tank do you have him in.

he will be just fine in that size tank. i just hate to see when people buy a fish like that and put them in a 55 gallon tank. happens way to often

I know what you mean, I baught a 14" puffer and a 28" snowflake from a guy that where in a 50 gallon their entire life.

but, they looked happy in there, and you could only see their good side (because they couldn't turn around)

beatiful tang.

It's tail was actually folded over for about 2 months till after i got it into a 125, I know that's still undersized for it but it's thinks its in the ocean.

he would be fine for many years. as he grows to be full size would out grow that tank. when you add all the rock. it wouldn't give him much swimming space

at least with the 36in front to back, he'd still be able to turn around.
Having him a couple years may work... problem is finding someone with a tank large enough to take him when he does outgrow yours, and being willing to do so after having him that long..

I'm already looking for someone with a bigger tank to take mine. Mine is only 8" so far, but I know within the next year, he is going to get too big for the 240. he already has gotten too big to get in and out of some of the openings in the rock work that he didnt used to have trouble getting in and out of just months ago.

well you do have to think about the size they will get. they say 18 to 24 inches long. that's a big fish.

well you do have to think about the size they will get. they say 18 to 24 inches long. that's a big fish.

AND they are swimmers.. Even if say a clown fish got that big, it wouldn't need as big a tank as they tend to 'stay home'... Tangs swim...

I have a 90 gallons tank, and after a couple years, I had to give mine away, as he got to be too big for the tank and ate like a pig, and the other fishes did not get much of a chance to the food. Yours is beautiful....

Back