Vodka dosing

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

LOL This would be a LONG write up for what vodka actually dose.
It is "CARBON" (sugar) dosing.
You are adding a source for bacteria to feed on. it will clarify water, ramp up skimming, feed bacteria's, and reduce bad algae in your tank..
PLEASE do some research because there is ALOT to it.

And by A lot Adam means the rabbit hole never ends on it unless you have a Doctorate in chemistry. Please make sure this is what you want to do as there are both really really good benefits and really really bad consequences.

As a guy without ANY degree in chemistry, what's the short n' nasty list of the drawbacks?

Overdosing will kill your tank.

Not dosing enough will burn the tips of SPS but without the positive results you are going after...(So the normal temporary bad but with no good)

Mismanagement of sustainment dosage can slowly kill your tank.

Oh, you mean like; mismanagement of MY sustainment dosage will result in cirrhosis, heart disease and death?

Overdosing will kill your tank.

Not dosing enough will burn the tips of SPS but without the positive results you are going after...(So the normal temporary bad but with no good)

Mismanagement of sustainment dosage can slowly kill your tank.

Ok I understand the overdosing but you lost me a bit on the not dosing enough thing?? So are you saying that if you are dosing and then stop? or reduce the dosage??

MOjo

No no no. There is a sustainment dosage you reach while vodka dosing. This is done daily to maintain your system. It is common that sps will get burnt tips during vodka dosing. So if you don't dose enough you will not get results you are after ie cleaning the tank...but will more than likely get burnt sps tips.

Hmm so why are the tips burning?? is the bacteria trying to reduce the corals?

Mojo

Hmm I'm not sure, I know it is a very very common occurrence when Vodka Dosing, but the corals usually recover within 4-6 months.

Back