Vortech issues

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dtd87

I recently had my wetside replaced because the whole inside was shredded. Now it seems my dry side is making the vortech make horrible clunking noises? Anyone else ever have these issues?

Hmm, nope. Been through the wet side replacement issue myself. Only thing I can think of is that maybe a bearing went bad??? You don't really hear about the dry side having any issues. I've seen some threads on relacng the bearing in older models but if it's 'new' it should be fine. Do you have the spacer set correctly?

same here after i did i had to rotate the the wetside until it got quieter. but it was never the same after i did the wetside replacement.

Hmm, nope. Been through the wet side replacement issue myself. Only thing I can think of is that maybe a bearing went bad??? You don't really hear about the dry side having any issues. I've seen some threads on relacng the bearing in older models but if it's 'new' it should be fine. Do you have the spacer set correctly?

According to customer support I don't require the spacer because of my aquariums glass thickness. The rep said also that the "batch" that mine shipped out with has had issues with both the wet and dry.

A replacement is on the way. Hopefully this resolves the issue because I love this pump.

This might sound crazy but try to shake your dry side a little and remount. I was having noise issues after cleaning my wet side and was about to order replacement part but it suddenly stopped after looking for the serial number and reinstalling. Atbleast this worked with my MP40

Just received my replacement dryside today, Installed it into the controller and viola it is now near silent and no more loud annoying noises. Now I can turn down the tv a little and still hear it.

When it is making the vortech make horrible clunking noises you need to aline it better try moviing it a little bit.

It was perfectly aligned, when taking it off and shaking it like the customer support said, there was a rattle inside. So that was what was wrong.

This is one of the reasons Ecotech gets a premium price for their equipment...outstanding customer support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is one of the reasons Ecotech gets a premium price for their equipment...outstanding customer support.

Agreed, but for the price that they're charging they should put some engineering into figuring out why these pumps fail in the manner they do. Take the driver modules away and you're left with an electric motor that spins a magnet in the dry side. Simple electric motors such as these are typically extremely reliable and quiet and these seem to be neither. There are countless threads about folks having trouble with the dry side, wet side, rebuilding both sides, sending them in for replacement, replacing the bearings, etc. When they work they're a great powerhead with a lot of benefits. When they don't they're just like any other part that fails in a tank, just rather more expensive. Right now they're getting a pass because they do have excellent customer service but that goodwill will only last so long.

Know how I made my Vortechs run quietly? I changed them to Tunze 6105's! I've 3 Tunzes and 1 MP40W and now that the tank is as quiet as it is I can hear that Vortech running from quite a distance, particularly when it hits a high RPM. Tunze number 4 is in the works.

Mike

The problem I think come from a combination of the demand placed on the motor (constant rampig, pulsing and RPM's) combined with non ceramic high grade bearings used and a lack of cooling since everything is outside the tank...

Back