Vortech MP20 enough?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

soyadrink

So I want a vortech for my tank but can't afford the MP40(can't even really afford the MP20 either :p) so I was wondering with the right placement and on wave function if it would be enough flow for my 50g cube mostly SPS. In reef hobbyist magazine I read that a guy got 3/4" wave on each side of his 6 foot tank with the MP20.

I would be using this as only pump

I was using the mp20 on my solana and loved it! What are the dims of your tank? It doesn't make quite the wave that the mp40 makes though.:)

If you are looking for an MP20 I have one that I got from Jayson. I would sell it for what I paid which was $240 I believe. Reason I want to sell it is I want to get the mp40. If not I would keep it and just get the upgrade kit to MP40. I have it in my 40b right now with just a k2 on the wavy sea and it is plenty flow.

I think an mp20 would be just fine...do you have a return providing flow as well?

Nope, only serves to get water from the sump to the DT but I will be moving the tank soon and have the sump a little further away, which could give me the opportunity to upgrade the return pump.

Roscoe, is it 2nd gen?

The only challenge with the vortechs on a cube is placement. I had to move mine around a lot to find a place that would allow flow through the rocks to the front and then back to the back again. Works great, but it takes some playing with to get it to work. Also, getting a wave becomes very difficult the smaller the dimension from the vortech to the opposing wall. I wouldn't expect to get a nice wave in a tank that small, but with some tinkering you might be able to.

Another plus is that I don't have much rock and am even thinking about putting more out of the display to the sump. This'll give me a much more open area

Back