Vortech powerheads Noise level

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tyson256031

I have heard from certain people that their Mp40's or other Vortech power heads get to be pretty loud? Does anyone on here have experience with these that could elaborate on this or anything about these pumps would be helpful :)

Trying to justify spending the 1k for 2 MP40's and battery backup before I pull the trigger. Thanks!

For the tank size your building you'll love them, some make alittle noise when breaking in but alinement is key. When you first start them you need to move the wet side around till you can't feel any vibation. I've got two 40s on my display tank and two 10s on the frag system, very happy with them

True alignment is key but after a while the bearing starts to fail and becomes loud and unbearable. I replaced mine 3 times before I made the switch to tunze and haven't had a problem or sound yet!!

Vortechs are great pumps but even when properly aligned you will hear them when they spool up to full power. I had two MP40's and liked them a lot but you will hear them as they ramp up to high speeds and as they run at high speed. If you've got your TV on at a reasonable listening level you probably won't be able to hear them from more than a few feet away. If you don't get them aligned properly they can be really noisy at high and low speeds. Bearing can fail prematurely, particularly if you don't correct alignment problems, but there is a huge thread on RC documenting the replacement of the factory bearing with relatively low cost ceramic bearings that will run quieter and last longer.

I had two of these on my 5' 125G but after moving to a 6' 180 and moving to SPS I got rid of one, positioned the other so that it's blowing behind the rockwork, and picked up three Tunze 6105's for blowing out the front of the tank. The Vortechs are quiet; Tunzes are silent. I know they've gotten some bad press lately but I'm running the 24V jumpers and feel like I could surf in the tank. They do take up more space in the tank and a some heat to the tank but I have a chiller so... Both companies have great customer service so you can't go wrong there.

Mike

u will learn to love the sound when u see how much water they move plus u cant beat the wireless communication between units. Vortech is on to something here, the possibilities are endless with the programs that can be implemented between their products. Also the modes on the new wireless drivers are amazing, much more complicated and useful than anything i could ever program or teach a controller to do.the ecosmart modes are even pre-programmed to know where in the aquarium the pump is based on your selection during set-up. TBH tunze isnt even in the same league as vortech as far as submersible powerheads technology. (sorry to offend just my opinion) though their wavebox is pretty amazing.

Nutrient transport mode does just that. simply put it in that mode and u will see all the detritus etc come right up from behind and under the rocks. love it. or put them on the tidal swell mode for a pretty nice effect as well.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I really just want to get the units so the work with the radion units seamlessly through the wireless feature. You've sold me on them!

I did look at the tunze's, i'm not a fan of the whole large powerhead in the tank area for viewing reasons and for the same amount of flow i think i would need 4 tunze's and only 2 MP40's.

yah thats gonna be exciting to see how that ends up working out for vortech. very intrigued by the possibility of storm and weather simulations tied together through the pumps and lighting. think ill wait a few years to see how the LED's do and what changes they make on them.

I will be sure to post pictures and videos when the tank is all done about all the different functions there are between them. The cool thing about the Radion units is that all the LED's come out with only 4 screws. Ecotech has said they don't plan to change the design from time to time only the LED's which will not cost very much when you have already bought the unit they are going into.

Thanks everyone! I really just want to get the units so the work with the radion units seamlessly through the wireless feature. You've sold me on them!

When you get your lights and pumps working in tandem you're going to be so tickled you'll never give the sound another thought!

Cant wait for that. Ordered the other two LED units today as well as 2 mp40's.

If these powerheads are about 12-16" off the bottom of the tank, wil my sand blow around, or should i do a BB tank?

I have to say the vortech is great. Mine is great and I do not hear the loud sounds others hear maybe got lucky on the one I got. I am going to get another one when I can afford it but right now just using one with two Hydor K8's. I placed the vortech at the same place in the tank, but the hydor pump although puts out great flow is the only one that was hard to place due to blowing the sand. The vortech you will notce will moved debris but doesn't seem to blow the sand. I am not sure why but it doesn't.

Yea, I think they are all good. I was debating between the MP40's and tunze for awhile. Ended up going tunze, and honestly, where they are in the tank nothing would be anyway. I love them.

I got two 6105's, a controller a controllable nano and 2 non controllable nanos all for $300 or so used, but in like new condition. Had to replace one power supply, but the guy at tunze was very helpful. Love them and happy I went with tunze. Not a bad piece of equipment to get used if you are patient and don't mind waiting for some to surface.

Right now the ecosmart software only recognizes the LED's. I just go two MP10w es and accordIng to what I read the light picks up the wireless signal, the software just does not yet display it. I have not been in the room for a lightning storm, but my wife thought the pumps might be synced. You can select feed mode for the pumps from the light.

As for noise, it's certainly more than some. My four Tunze 6010 (3750gph) were not nearly as loud as two my two MP10's. I notice the fan noise from the radion a bit too. I figure the ocean is loud, so what should I expect from trying to replicate it. It's not a big deal.

I havean od school mp40 (non wireless) and am very happy with it on my 6' 215g tank. It is a bit noisy, but like BCT182 said, ocean is noisy too. It isnt really a big deal to me either. ESPECIALY after all the crap that I saw come from behind the rockwork! Now to figure out how to operate it properly. Bought it used and it dont have the sticker on the back of the controller.

Back