VS3-24 LIFEREEF protein skimmer with Mag drive 9.5 pump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

My mom was thinking about muying this and we just wanted to see if anyone else has had one of these and what you think about em

Not sure about the 3-24, but I ran a 2-24 (in sump version) for years and loved it. I only changed due to some good fortune getting a bigger skimmer.

perfect. guy is selling one for 150. do these run pretty consistently and easily? the one she has now has to be at the perfect water level or it will not work. she has to adjust it non stop. she looking to eliminate that

Mine was just a matter of dialing it in the first time and leaving it. I did find that you need to clean the riser every week or so to keep it performing well and put hot water thru the venturi tube occasionally to keep it clean. Outside of that and cleaning the pump sometimes (needed on any skimmer) it was simple set and forget.

I'm betting if the current skimmer you mom needs to be adjusted constantly, that it has more to do with the water level in her sump constantly changing...
or does she have an auto top off?
and what kind of skimmer does she own ??

and FWIW, I personally think the life reef skimmers are pretty decent, but that's it.
they are a plain venturi driven skimmer that requires a 1000gph pump (the mag 9 should be pretty good with that skimmer body).

also, what size is your mom's reef, and what is the bio load?

yeah thats why she has to adjust it all the time is because of water level in the sump. the one i have works no matter what "aqua c ev180" she does not have an auto top off. and as far as the skimmer she has now i have no idea what brand it is. she bought it a local pet store. not sure if it even has a name. She has a 125 gallon tank with like a 30 gallon sump or so. she has a decent amount of softies and leathers and maybe 8-10fish. also has a hang on refugium

I'm betting if the current skimmer you mom needs to be adjusted constantly, that it has more to do with the water level in her sump constantly changing...
That is a great point as my sump water level is rock solid with my ATO.

yeah thats why she has to adjust it all the time is because of water level in the sump. the one i have works no matter what "aqua c ev180" she does not have an auto top off. and as far as the skimmer she has now i have no idea what brand it is. she bought it a local pet store. not sure if it even has a name. She has a 125 gallon tank with like a 30 gallon sump or so. she has a decent amount of softies and leathers and maybe 8-10fish. also has a hang on refugium

ANY in-sump skimmer isnt going to achieve maximum potential unless the water level remains steady with an ATO.
not to mention the swing of salinity negatively effecting corals.

beckett/injector/venturi skimmers with larger pumps are obviously not going to be AS effected by fluctuating water levels in the sump, but you will definately lose performance without re-adjustment if you choose to ignore it.
ATO's are only $50-$100 anyway, and are so much better to have to accomodate for evap, so it's not like it'a a big deal to get one.

...or at least draw a line with a sharpie on the sump and maintain it with fresh water top off every day.

and for a 125g, I think that even the cheaper of the newer skimmers would be much better for just a little more than $150.
I'll bet the vs3-24 w/mag 9 & regular venturi doesnt even inject 400lph of air...
plus there would be about half as much power draw if not less than a mag 9.5 pump. which is also a massive heater in the sump.

In no particular order;
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...duct_Code=CV-OCT-NWB-150&Category_Code=oct-nw
http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/c...-Magus-NAC6-Protein-Skimmer/product_info.html
http://saltwaterconnection.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=116
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...Product_Code=ES-PSK-150&Category_Code=es-skim

Last edited:
Back