Water change refill without buckets

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Gary

My wife doesn't like me carrying buckets through the house as I always seem to spill a little. So the first step to a happy wife was to plumb the water change tank in the garage to the sump.

I put a couple of bulkhead fittings in the 20 gallon tank. Using 3/4" PVC I made a manifold then ran 1/2" PEX to the sump manifold. The PEX pipes are in the crawl space and are insulated.

When I built the sump I put an overflow drain in in case the auto top off ever got stuck open. I used that drain as a way to fill the sump back up.

I drain the tank into buckets (this is the next thing I need to figure out how to get around). Then I turn the main pump on. I adjust the return flow into the tank with a valve on the pump outlet (not shown in these pictures). I then open up valve 7. So far it works pretty well!

The water change tank has a Quiet One 6000 in it.

Manipulating the valves allows the following:

Recirculation in the water change tank only with overflow on sump operational

Valve 1 Closed
Valve 2 Open
Valve 3 Closed
Valve 4 Closed
Valve 5 Closed
Valve 6 Closed
Valve 7 Open

Recirculation through the PEX tubes with overflow on sump operational
I do this for a day prior to the water change so the temperature and salinity are consistent.

Valve 1 Open
Valve 2 Closed
Valve 3 Open
Valve 4 Closed
Valve 5 Open
Valve 6 Closed
Valve 7 Open

To fill tank after a water change

Valve 1 Open
Valve 2 Closed
Valve 3 Closed
Valve 4 Closed
Valve 5 Open
Valve 6 Open
Valve 7 Closed

To fill a bucket (that pipe is incomplete) with overflow on sump operational

Valve 1 Closed
Valve 2 Closed
Valve 3 Closed
Valve 4 Open
Valve 5 Closed
Valve 6 Closed
Valve 7 Open

waterchange01.jpg

Water change tank manifold.

waterchange02.jpg

Sump manifold

Last edited:
Great job Gary!!

Your post makes me wonder..... How many thousands of dollars, countless hours, new intonations in this hobby can be traced back to pleasing our wives????

Nice job.. Lugging buckets is in thing I hate. My sump is in the garage so I can do a WC pretty quick out there if that's all I'm doing. The problem comes when I need to vacuum the sand in the DT. Gotta use a bucket for that.. :)

I think you are right, james734. I am stuck with buckets for sand sifting. I'm not sure how I will drain on non-sand sifting water changes.

gary, I have an automated system as well and I use a wet vac to clean my sump..it is the only manual work I do..pics of my system can be found under my signature..I've upgraded one of my 55g vats to 165g for saltwater changes..

NC2WA

That is AWESOME!!! I would love an in-wall tank. I love the pipe pictures! IMG_0433a is my favorite!

Gary,

yeah that is a good photo..Sums up the heart of my system..along with the water vats and plumbing that leads to my drainage system under the crawl space.
:)

And I thought my four valve water change system was complicated. My WC pump is also my reactor feed pump and it is also plumbed directly into the house. Nice job.

I'm going with a 2 valve. one 2in valve on the bottom end of the sump plumbed to outside and one a 55g drum wich will dump by gravity to sump. looking for about a 45g wc in less than a minute. why? Just because!

Back