Water changes for a 90g

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Beckmola24

Hawkfish
This may sound silly, but this is my first large tank. I've only had nanos up to a 37g now. What would be a good amount to change (every 2 weeks at what % ?) Also how do I siphon out that much water and add that much water w/o making a big mess. Up to now, I change 10g in my 37g and only did 5g changes in my 20g which didn't take much work.... I'm just thinking about how to accomplish this. ;) How do you all do your changes and where do you go with that much water? Do you use a regular siphon hose? Thanks in advance.

Everyone's a little bit different but I do a 20% every 2 weeks. I just siphon it and and replace with premixed water (At least 24hrs. prior and mixed with power heads). Right now I use the 5 gallon bucket method, not the easiest but it's what I have.

I use a 30 gal trash can to make up new water and then a Mag 3 with an adapter so that it hooks up to a garden hose. The change is simple, Ijust stick the mag 3 into my sump and pump out about 20-30 gal into a sink and then stick the mag 3 into the trash can to pump fresh salt water into the sump/tank. the whole process takes about 10 min to do.
Erik

Sounds like a good method Erik. I want to avoid the 5g method because of the chance of getting water on the floor. The tank is on a hard wood floor. Do you use a regular garden hose and what type of adapter and where can you get it? Also I was wary of trash cans because of plastic leaching and phosphates. Are regular trash cans ok?

Lastly, My tank has been cycling for about 2 months now. What % should I do for this first time? I need to post pics don't I? :)

I use a 44g brute on wheels with a bulkhead and a ball valve for water coming out, and another 44g brute on wheels for water going in. I use a small 3/8 I.D. hose for detirus removal, then a big 5/8 i.d. hose after to speed up the draining. Then a 802 hagen powerhead to pump new saltwater back. Easy and simple.

Becky - you won't have a problem with the Brute food grade cans. Here is an old thread on the subject: What do you use to store your water in?

I use one Brute can to siphon the water into, and the other has the newly made water in it. I pump water out of the sump, and also siphon detritus out of the display.

To protect the floors while you are working in your tank, put some type of covering down, and have a towel or two on hand. This is what I use on the floor anytime I'm in the tank (mine are all grey, but they were bought from Sam's): http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=200247

When I had my 90 gal I use to change 15 gals a week. Now I have a 75 gal and I change 10 gals per week. So what I do is just siphon (2) 5 gal buckets worth of water with a small tube into a 5 gal bucket and toss it. In meantime I have another 5 gal bucket with pre-mixed saltwater in, which I toss back in afterwards...:)

I do the following. Premix water/salt. Add heater to container to equal temp in aquarium. Use powerhead with a connected hose (discharge end) to remove water from aquarium. Use the same method to replenish water removed.

Here is my setup. You could do the same thing on a smaller scale. I have a drain line plumbed into the septic system that Y's under the tank. This is also used as a drain for the collection cup on my skimmer. I simply close the skimmer valve and open the water change valve. You can vacuum the tank with it or just suck out the water. After that I have a 300gal tank that I keep fresh SW mixed in. It has a mag24 that is used to pump the new water back into the house through a 1" line. I do 150-200gallon water changes with little effort. Only thing is I have to wait on the water to drain and refill. I attached a pic of my mixing tank.

Cool thanks everyone for your input. Thanks Nikki for the tip on those Brute cans. I will have to go out and get one. So it looks to that using some sort of pump to move water into the tank is the best way to do things.

Brenden, I like the idea of your setup. I'll have to look into that. :)

Be sure you do not try to slide the brute cans with water in them. It will cause small leaks at "pressure points". Happen to me more than once. That is one of the main reasons I upgraded.

I use the wheel things that attach right on the bottom of the brute cans. They should be located near them in the store, Becky. Makes moving them across the house really easy...especially on wood floors.

I use a couple of rubber maid trash cans to mix up the salt water. But I use a Python water change hose to transfer the new water to the containers and to remove the water from the tank. Goes straight down the drain.
I set the trash cans next to the tank, add salt and the turn on the water.
I used a faucet adapter hooked up to the bath tub drain because that had more water pressure then the kitchen sink.
I now have a utility sink in the garage that I hook up the python to.
I do about 25% every two weeks.

Brenden said:
Here is my setup. You could do the same thing on a smaller scale. I have a drain line plumbed into the septic system that Y's under the tank. This is also used as a drain for the collection cup on my skimmer. I simply close the skimmer valve and open the water change valve. You can vacuum the tank with it or just suck out the water. After that I have a 300gal tank that I keep fresh SW mixed in. It has a mag24 that is used to pump the new water back into the house through a 1" line. I do 150-200gallon water changes with little effort. Only thing is I have to wait on the water to drain and refill. I attached a pic of my mixing tank.

You drain your saltwater to septic?? Any adverse problems noticed yet?

-Josh-:cool:

OMG !!! can i have a bucket of that :D ..... sorry couldn't handle it :) .

Elmo, that would really be easier than doing larger changes every other week. At 10% that would only be 9g per week. I can handle that, but is that enough of a %? I do a 10g change every week on my 37g. Everything looks great in that tank. Should I be doing less though?

Elmo, that would really be easier than doing larger changes every other week. At 10% that would only be 9g per week. I can handle that, but is that enough of a %? I do a 10g change every week on my 37g. Everything looks great in that tank. Should I be doing less though?

I do 10 gal a week on my 75 and never had a problem;)

IMO, 10 gallons is fine. I prefer smaller, but more frequent water changes, than large, infrequent ones ;)

Best,
Ilham

Back