Water Flow for 180gal - need your suggestions!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Lone Wolf

I want to get suggestions on water flow for a standard 180gal AGA. I will have 1800gph from the sump and 1800gph from a closed loop. The tank is visable from three sides (both long and one short end). I don't want anything obstructing the vision on the three sides, ie: on the glass. So, everything needs to come in from the top (pumbing in canopy). I am also using 2 - Seio 1500's on the non-visable end where the overflow and exit pumping is at. I have never done this before and would like some advice and suggestions on flow and what to use in the tank to get it. Thanks

Sounds like a fun project! A few questions:

1. Is the tank reef ready, or are you going to use external overflows on the non-visible side?

2. Are you planning on running multiple return lines from the sump? 1800gph from the return seems like a little too much. Might want to consider a little smaller pump, or dial the one you have down a little. If the water is running through the sump too fast, you won't get enough contact time in the skimmer to remove waste.

3. Are you opposed to drilling the bottom of the tank? You can put bulkheads in the bottom and run the closed loop through there for a couple of your lines. Make sure to get schedule 80 bulkheads though. Don't want any leaks there.

There are a lot of good threads on this site in the member showcase forum where people have done over the top closed loops. Might want to check that out for a little inspiration.

Also, are you planning on using anything to randomize the flow from the closed loop (OceansMotion, MBV, SQWD, etc.)?

Thanks -
1. The tank is not reef ready - so I am drilling holes for bulk heads in the non-visible side? I can not drill the bottom because it is probably tempered.
2. I am using a 55 gal tank for a sump with a different pump feeding the skimmer, reactors and frag tank. The main sump pump will also feed a 29 gal tank and must travel about 20 feet horizonally and 6 feet vertical. I have a Blueline100 pump at 1900gph at 0 head. I can alway trim back the water flow with a valve. The closed loop will use a Mag18 - 1800gph. I won't have much head on that, perhaps 2 feet vertical. Again, I can choke it down with a valve.
3. The tank will be drilled on the non-visible side with bulk heads and a overflow box on the side of the tank that the bulk heads are in.
4. I want to randomize both the sump return and closed loop. I have looked into a OM super sprint and/or sea swirls. A SQWD will not handle the flow even though I have one available. Not familar with a MBV, what is that?

Thanks for your interest and help!

Last edited:
An MBV is a Motorized Ball Valve. It switches flow from one side to another in programmed intervals. You can look at Class Clown's thread in this forum. He is using one along with an Oceans Motion 4 way and it is a nice random chaotic flow.

I am using an Oceans Motion 4 way in my 120 and I really like it. The super squirts are very similar to the 4 way, I think they are just a little smaller?

Thanks -
4. I want to randomize both the sump return and closed loop. I have looked into a OM super sprint and/or sea swirls. A SQWD will not handle the flow even though I have one available. Not familar with a MBV, what is that?

Thanks for your interest and help!

Yes, way over my head but how do you keep the water from sloshing all over the place?
If you answer-short answer please. I have been thinking about a more random flow that is why I am asking.

Deb,
You want between 20-30X tank volume in water flow. A 55gal tank needs pumps/powerhead to move approx. 1200-1600 gph. You can do that easy with power heads and a wave maker of some type. You are not moving so much water that it will slosh. You are wanting a random swirl movement. Your coral will love you for it!

Back