water flow

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

darklcd

nursing eel
good evening all

I am wondering if any one can help me out. I am trying to design a flow system for my new tank. I am going to have it set up with one over flow on the far side of the tank and have it stick out as a wall between 2 rooms. My concern is that the tank is 96" long and I don't know how to get the right flow all around the tank.

I was thinking of in tank power heads but I really don't like the look of them at all I am trying to stay away from that path.

I am not sure if I can get a pump or 2 that will be big enough to run pluming all around the top of the tank and have jets out every 6" or so

if any one can think of anything else for me that would be great all ideas are more then welcome

thanks

any idea on a good way to run the pluming? I was thinking of having a few extra holes in the overflow and running all the pipe through it

what do you think?

You could do a few that way, but you will need a big overflow as the more return lines you have in there, the more space it will take up. Have you seen any of the over the top return manifolds? Alberto (dgasmd) had a nice thread on here with pics of how he did his on a 750 gal tank with an over the top closed loop (with pumps in his garage;) ) but the thread for some reason has lost all the good pics. I'll have to see if I can find anything for you:)

*pretends to be Krish* ahemm, you can add like 1,000,000gph of flow and your corals will absolutly love it!! <3 ........................lololol ohh man. as soon as you see flow you gotta answer eh Krish..lol ohh man

Is the tank going to be viewed on 3 or 4 sides? If the back is going to be hidden, I would just drill it and run a Hammerhead pump with 3 returns split by line lock. That will give you plenty of flow throughout the tank.

3 sides are going to be seen. Krish that #2 post is what I was thinking of doing but having more outlets into the tank then that. as for the pumps I want to try and keep everything inside the stand. thats why I redesigned my sump to work in a U shape rather then right to left.

I am just not sure what pump to use and how much flow I would need. I am also wondering about the return lines from my sump pumps. I want to run two pumps back into the tank.

what do you guys think?

Back