Water Test Kits

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

windwaterwaves

Aquaholic
I've been doing this reef thing now for 6 months now and one of the things I like the least is testing, especially calcium (drop swirl, drop swirl, drop swirl) mine shows up over 600, I don't supplement anymore for sure.

What manufacturers are your favorite? Which kits are easy no hassle quick tests? What cool electronics do you have to check things...?

Finally.. in order of necessity what tests would you buy first..?

I have used salifert kits for years.

I believe that the absolutely necessary test kits are Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium.
I have a nitrate kit, but haven't used it in so long that it has probably expired.
I have an organics kit that I use sometimes (in my tank, back when I was testing nitrates, organics were more of a nutrient problem than nitrate).

A refractometer for testing salinity is a necessity. By the time you have broken your second (good quality) hydrometer, you will have paid for a refractometer. (a cheap hydrometer is not worth having)

I have trusted my reef to all Salifert test for four almost five years now and test monthly or as needed.
Testing your parameters in a reef is essential to proper reef keeping. I know it can be a pain at times but if you plan ahead it can help some.

I agree with dnjan with a refractometer as I started with a hydrometer and it broke after a couple months of use. Spend a few extra bucks and get yourself a refractometer.

And as for your Ca reading being so high, I can remember that I had problems with low readings depending on which salt I used and now with Oceanic salt my Ca readings can be a bit higher to where I do not need to do additional dosing for the first few days after a water change.

Hope this helps,
Alex

I prefer API test kits because they are the easiest to use. I check calcium and alkalinity, plus occasionaly nitrate and phosphate. I question the accuracy of most test kits and think you should really test multiple times prior to adding anything to the tank or making any decision. I also thought about going to salifert or ELOS, but figured most my testing history was with the API test kits so couldn't justify a change for better kits that I would have a difficult time judging the results on. A refractometer is key though, easy to use and accurate.
hope that helps?
-chris

if you have more than 90 bucks invested in your system, you need a refractometer.
I was in the process of cooking my tank once with a faulty swingarm crapomoter. Sell some frags, say no to that pretty blasto, and tell the tang to stay in the store for another month and buy a refractometer. I calibrated mine 3 years ago, check it yearly and have never had to adjust it. it never lies and my salinity is solid.

I also test for nitrate/ite, amonia, phos, cal, mag, alk every three days and keep the entries in a log book. Total testing time is 15 min, big deal. A log book keeps track of water changes, dosing of buffer, cal, mag, and life remaining on my MH bulb. It takes 10 min to set up a log, and is very important for detecting trends.

I would recommend testing mag, ca, alk, and nitrates frequently until you know your system is well established... then pull back on the testing as you feel comfortable. I also always closely monitor my Ph with a Ph monitor. Additionally, a refractometer is key. Later on look into a Ca reactor too. Logbooks are great as previously recommended, and I believe all successful reefers should keep one.

Also I began my reefing with API as well, then moved to Salifert, but I have found Elos to test kits to be the most accurate by far. Elos I have found are very accurate and have consistent measurements.

Last edited:
in regards to frequency of testing.
right now i test every three days for a few reasons.
1) i love testing, its fun, and it keeps me in tune with my tank. it lets me know when things are wrong or going wrong long before the slightest symptom pops up.
2) i want to set up automatic dosing, so it is important to see what i need to dose daily in order to maintain proper levels. 3 months of testing every three days i think will give me a wealth of data in order to set up a more automatic process.

one more time: once you set up a system testing is fast and easy. 10-15 min tops and you have hit every test you need, and dosed.

Back