Water testing equipment

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Stick

Tony, I've been reading your posts regarding the care of Corals and in several you mention running a complete test of the water. As a newbie I've been depending on taking samples in to the marine store for their analysis. But it sounds like I should/could be doing it on my own.

What testing equipment would you recommend?

If its a brand new setup its important to know when it has cycled. So you would want to measure nitrites, ammonia, and nitrates. After cycling its a good idea to keep track of nitrates and I feel phosphates too. In addition you need to keep you calcium and alkalinity levels in balance. Naturally seawater has a salinity of around 35 PPT so a hydrometer is handy and calibrating a hydrometer is even handier. As far as other additives, if you can't find a test kit for it don't add it. Strontium for instance is sold as an additive. If you can't find a test kit for it and you do routine water changes chances are you're better off not dosing it IMO. I personally like salifert test kits but everyone has a particular preference. With regards to phosphate tests there are very few that measure inorganic and organic phosphates. I hope this helps.

many good brands out there... for hobby grade I like Aquarium Systems and Red Sea master kits.

For higher shelf brands... Hach or LaMotte

kindly :)

Thanks, my setup is fairly new, about 60 days now. You mentioned cycling, can you go into some more depth on that term? Not sure what you mean? Also, this is a 90 gal setup at my office. So that I wouldn't screw it up I've hired a service to come in biweekly to clean and monitor the systems. They change 1/3 of the water once a month. Is that enough and frequent enough? Currently I've just added a mushroom coral, brain coral, BTA and a polyp. Also have a couple of clown fish and a couple of engineer gobies. I'm really enjoying it and want to learn and do it right. Thanks for the advice.

cycling as in the "nitrogen cycle"... a fundamental dynamic. You need to know/understand this my friend. No worries though, but do accept that you are in dire need of information before (!) you buy any (more) living creatures.

Let me suggest the tidy and inexpensive but effective "New Marine Aquarium" by Mike Paletta.

You also have some very good marine aquarium clubs in your hometown including:
http://atlanta-smas.org/

fab and free info and guidance at the meetings

best of luck/life

Anthony

Another good one is Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Bob Fenner. Really enjoyable book with a broad coverage of reef systems. I am a fan of Salifert kits myself, having never used lemott or hach kits. LOL I know Mr. Calfo knows what he is talking about. He is a Sharp fellow. I just cant afford them. I second the no test kit, no additive idea. HTH Steve

Back