Wavemaker....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pitmam01

Blondie911
What's the benefit in having this device?? I've heard that they can burn out your pumps. Mine is now disconnected.

most pumps are not designed to be turned on and off repeatedly (that's when the most wear and tear takes place); they're supposed to be turned on and left on. high dollar wavemaker/powerhead combos don't totally cut power to the pump but rather reduce the pumps output, say to twenty percent, then back up to full. but those pumps are designed to take the change in current.

I'm sure the one I have is a mere trinket. The guy who originally set my system up, was quite a "dealer". I didn't disconnect it because of the noise, it didn't make any noise. It wasn't a high dollar unit so I'm glad I disconnected it. I'll probably run over it like I did with my "Eco aqualizer". Ha ha ha!!!

most pumps are not designed to be turned on and off repeatedly (that's when the most wear and tear takes place); they're supposed to be turned on and left on. high dollar wavemaker/powerhead combos don't totally cut power to the pump but rather reduce the pumps output, say to twenty percent, then back up to full. but those pumps are designed to take the change in current.

I dont think that running it over would be the best choice for you if your unsatisfied.
Selling it in the "equip for sale forum" would be best. I can guarantee someone will buy it for the right price.

Seios, Hydors, Tunzes, etc do chatter when they start up from a dead stop. Maxi jets do pretty well wiht that type of wave maker. A couple of those may do the trick for you depending on the size of your tank. Otherwise Seio and Tunze (for example) make wave controllers that cycle pumps from near 10-100% to prolong life and avoid start up chatter.
You could always use a CL system with a wave maker as another option.

I wasn't really going to run it over, lol!!!!! I'm keeping all the stuff I got stuck with a few months ago, in a box. I will probably sell it or give it away. I am upgrading almost everything.
:badgrin:

I dont think that running it over would be the best choice for you if your unsatisfied.
Selling it in the "equip for sale forum" would be best. I can guarantee someone will buy it for the right price.

Seios, Hydors, Tunzes, etc do chatter when they start up from a dead stop. Maxi jets do pretty well wiht that type of wave maker. A couple of those may do the trick for you depending on the size of your tank. Otherwise Seio and Tunze (for example) make wave controllers that cycle pumps from near 10-100% to prolong life and avoid start up chatter.
You could always use a CL system with a wave maker as another option.

I guess I should have put the obligatory LOL afterward. Im sure that is the equivelant of my "wringing my sons neck".:badgrin:

Back