wet/dry filters

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

nasher8860

BANE
Would you be able to use a 150-180 rated wet/dry filter on a 65 or 120 gallon tank? I would like to upgrade to a wet/dry but also be able to upgrade tank after that. Any thoughts or knowledge appreciated. Thanks.

Would this be for a reef or fish-only? Reef tanks shouldn't have a wet/dry, since they are virtual nitrate factories. Instead you use plenty of live rock, and then add fish and inverts slowly to allow the bacteria to grow inside the rock.

However, if you are setting up a fish-only it's completely safe to use a larger filter. The bacteria will only grow to whatever population the nitrogen allows for.

Clayton

Thanks for the reply....Im planning on using it on the 65 gallon. I also plan on upgrading it to a 100-120 once i move in a couple months.If i do plan on it being Reef,what would you reccomend to use? plain sump w/ skimmer .....?
Or what about replacing the bioballs w/live rock over time if i wanted to eventually switch to a Reef. Right now I have about 50-55 lbs of live rock in the 65 gallon.

Last edited:
If I were you I think I would start adding cured rock (very cured) into the tank itself until it's good and full; or at least as full as you want it. Then little by little start removing bio balls and replacing them with rock. You can't remove too many at once though, or you'll end up with an ammonia spike; just a few at a time over the course of several weeks. If you put rock in their place it doesn't have to be fancy; rubble or base rock will do the trick. Unless your tank is overloaded with fish, or you have really large fish with a lot of waste; live rock still works good for biological filtration. The advantage with a wet/dry is they respond to increases in waste much faster than a natural system. Because of their massive nitrate production, however, they just don't work in a successful reef tank.

Clayton

as long as the live rock you use for replacing the bioballs is fully cured then there should be plenty of bacteria for the wet/dry. also, if you have a pound per gallon in the main display it's kinda a mute point anyhow.

One problem with wet/dry filters though is they are extremely good at what they do; in fact they're really too good. Any ammonia or nitrites in the water is quickly removed by the bio-media, leaving nothing for the rocks. This creates a situation in where the rocks have very little bacteria, and usually not enough for the bio-load of the fish. That's why it's usually best in any case to remove the media slowly. If you have plenty of rock in the tank, then eventually by slowly removing the media the rock can take over.

Clayton

Ok....let me get this straight. At the moment I do not have a wet/dry filter.I was planning on buying one soon. Would it be all right to not put any balls in at all and throw a couple of pieces of rock from my tank in there instead. and try starting it off that way.

I was under the assumption that you were running a wet/dry on your 65 gallon. If you aren't then by all means don't start now :)

Live rock is a much better and safer way to control nitrogen when compared to wet/dry filters. They help control nitrates, where the latter doesn't. If your tank is running on live rock just keep it that way and just put a good skimmer in the sump. You can always add more rock to your tank if you'd like. Rock can be placed in the sump; but like Mark said, as long as the tank has plenty it's not necessary.

Clayton

Ok..I dont even have a sump.But I'll look into it more and probly make one. I'm running a eheim canister right now that i got for free, but would like to replace w/sump and protein skimmer and all that other good stuff. Anyways Thx a bunch Saved me a bunch of money I was about to buy a wet/dry thinking they were better. :)

nasher8860 said:
Ok..I dont even have a sump.But I'll look into it more and probly make one. I'm running a eheim canister right now that i got for free, but would like to replace w/sump and protein skimmer and all that other good stuff. Anyways Thx a bunch Saved me a bunch of money I was about to buy a wet/dry thinking they were better. :)

Sounds like someone else has been Reeferized! Great advice and sounds like you are making the right decision.

Yep, sound just about right. The best filtration in my opinion is just a good skimmer, a good surface drawing overflow, and live rock. As a matter of fact, after setting up with a good skimmer and liverock, you will be able to shut down and remove your cannister filter, just wont need it anymore.

Yea definately more than you want to do. Just tested niTrates and there close to 0. Thinking about buying a little more LR. I found this great place here in Sac that has some pretty decent LR they bought it in bulk from someone else who had it cycling for about 2 months.(guess they couldnt sell) Anyway Last time I got somes pieces i got numerous cool things, Ive yet to identify them yet, there still growin can't really tell from the size. Also got the coolest crab on one of those pieces too. Don't know what kind it is though. He's really fuzzy,looks almost like a huge emerald crab. Anyways everyone have a Happy Fourth Of July........

nasher8860 said:
Yea definately more than you want to do. Just tested niTrates and there close to 0. Thinking about buying a little more LR. I found this great place here in Sac that has some pretty decent LR they bought it in bulk from someone else who had it cycling for about 2 months.(guess they couldnt sell) Anyway Last time I got somes pieces i got numerous cool things, Ive yet to identify them yet, there still growin can't really tell from the size. Also got the coolest crab on one of those pieces too. Don't know what kind it is though. He's really fuzzy,looks almost like a huge emerald crab. Anyways everyone have a Happy Fourth Of July........

Most hairy crabs aren't reef friendly. So I would keep an eye on it. If you have a sump I would move it there just to be safe. Post some pics when you can, good luck with your new finds!

Thanks don't really know what kind he is...I'll try to get a pic of him It might take a while since he's always hiding I only see him every couple days. But I'll do my best.

Back