what about garf?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jsmkmavity

i dont want to get a negative thread started, but i was considering purchasing some things from them when we go to boise for my daughters dance competition. i read a post a few days ago where someone said they wouldnt do business with them so now i am hesitant untill i find out more info. if anyone has personal knowledge please pm me so we dont publically start bashing them or others. im sure all of us have been the subject of a bad conversation, and not always deserved, just different people-yaknow?

I have done business with them and had no problems. I did have on shipment of frags die off and they replaced them. There grunge really got my sand working and seeded my coraline algae.

I have had really bad luck with them so far. There information is very good, and they are supposed to have some great coral frags as well. The management is suffering, as in non-existant. Be very careful if you order, to demand exact specification of shipping details up-front, and that they call or email about departure and arrival on the departure day.

> Barry :)

mmkeeper said:
They really are not a retail business. They are a research group.

I understand that. I also have Leeroy's and Sally-Jo's personal cell #'s, still . . . check that shipping info.

> Barry :)

If she is going to stop by and see them shipping isn't an issue. I do see your point, I have had shipping problems from others.

I think we have all had shipping issues of livestock from everywhere at some point.

Maybe you can Pm the person who said they had problems and figure it out privately.. :)

I bought some stuff from them a few years ago when I was in Boise visiting family. They have a great deal of neat corals and will undoubtedly send you home with some awesome stuff. I don't know anything about their shipping or other issues but my experience while visiting them was positive. Hope this helps.

To be honest, I probably followed the GARF method more than any other when setting up and running my reef tank (it is a bit dated now perhaps, but I still value much of their methodology). I agree with the above statement that they are more involved in progressing the profession (I would be hesitant to say "research," but that goes for most of the information disbursed within the hobby), than an actual retail outlet.

The major complaint that I have heard regarding GARF purchases was frag size and high mortality. However, that is all secondhand knowledge, as I have never ordered from them.

Take er easy
Scott T.

thanks for all the replies! hey "jeshimom" , good advice, but i dont know who said they wouldnt do business with them so i couldnt pm them privately, which i would prefer to do anytime there is a possibility of negative feedback. we will be visiting them in person so we will know exactly what we are getting. if the experience is possitive i will post it.:)

Back