What about Mg?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ryan Mackey

We all know the desired range for Mg is 1350 to 1500 ppm but, what is the effect if your Mg is above 1500? We have been experiencing elevated Mg levels in the shop, but have made no changes to our additions of trace elements. We seem to have a depression in our Ca++ levels although KH is stable at 10 dkh. Is elevated Mg altering the way the Ca is disolved, available, or read by my test kit? What might be the origin of this excess of Mg? What can/should I do to adjust the Mg level.(BTW, I read 1875 ppm on salifert Mg test) Help me Obi-wan, you're my only hope! [email protected]

Hey Ryan... Oceanic has very high Mg levels... With Mg levels that high I would assume that your Sg is higher than average as well... I have been dealing with this issue as well but mine was only at 1600ppm on salifert at 35-36ppt on a refractometer... I looked around for trying to find a way to lower the Mg but couldnt find anything so since my Ca and Mg were higher I decided to just add Alk supplement and let the system try and bring it down... Its been about 4 days and I think I am sitting at about Mg 1480ppm... I hear some people are mixing 2/3rds IO 1/3 Oceanic to balance out the unnaturally high Mg and Ca levels...

James

High Mg won't hurt (well unless it isn't like 5000 ppm or somesuch). You should try to target natural levels but a range above or slightly below isn't a big deal. Water changes will help here if you use a salt that has the correct levels. I wouldn't worry about it too much. It will eventually fall. Just keep your params where they need to be.

Collin

Thats a Good thing to know that it doesnt hurt anything... Ryan since you are running a Ca reactor IMO your levels will not fall as its all balanced... IMO I would shut off the reactor for a few days and monitor the levels closely for alk, and Ca... Media puts in equal amounts so in theory with the reactor running any Mg that is being used up is also being replaced at the same time... Oceanic mixed at 1.025-.026 has a Mg level of around 1500... Target should be 3x your Ca levels or NSW values..

James

Back