What all in one nano tank should I go with??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

peddy10181

Well with the big tank setup. The fresh water is up and runing to. Time for some thing new. I was think maybe I would give a reef tank a 2nd try. I have been looking at these all in one tanks like a 29 gallon HQI biocube or the JBJ 29 gallon LED tank. 29ish is the smallest I want to go with about 50 gallons max. Leta here some input on all in one tanks thanks

About 2 years ago I purchased a JBJ Nanocube direct from JBJ. What a nightmare! The lid was broken, that took 4 or 5 calls to finally get taken care of. The skimmer I ordered didn't show up with the tank, I was told it was on back order and would ship about 3 weeks out,(they gave me a date, I just don't remember it). Well, 4 weeks went by, I called and it was still on back order, another 5 weeks passed, I called again and they still didn't have my skimmer, I told them I would just go buy a different one and to credit my card for the skimmer I paid for. Another 9 weeks passed, along with many calls, e-mails and snail mails and finally I threatened them with legal action before they refunded my money. Oh, the ballast for the lights went out in this time as well, 2 more weeks to get a new one. My honest opinion is they are about the worst company in the hobby to do business with. My next nano will be Oceanic or Red Sea, or DIY, but it will not be a JBJ product.

I've had several JBJ's and not had any problems with them.

The Biocubes are better built but they are so annoying in that everything is proprietary. Even the locline for the return is non-standard. They do have an issue with the moonlights burning out.

The Red Sea Max appears well built but boy are they expensive.

I had the 24gal Aquapod and loved it! Enough space in the back to hang a skimmer, phosban reator and heater (ie if you don't mind losing 5 gals stepping down to a 24 gal) :)

Last edited:
I like the red sea tank, but ya it sure cost an arm and a leg + some lol. Illso it don't look like you can upgrade the 4 t5 bulbs with out going lid less. The new biocube hqi is what I may go with. But i like the looks of he red sea tank more and it's a little bigger to. Just not sure yet lol.

My first JBJ arrived shattered. Not JBJ's fault, it was Fedex.
I got a free one a week later. Not much to them all honestly. Its not like you arent going to mod the crap out of them anyways. Honestly I dont like the overflow of the JBJ, its too deep, and you dont get water forced through all your media properly. The back chamber is 4" deep, the canister is 2.5" deep...so water spills past it and not really through it.

Havent used the LED version...but thats really cool they offer one now. Might be worth looking into if your not wanting to DIY your own array.

Was looking at The Neo Nano Aquarium By Deep Sea Aquatics. It let's you look down into tank. Can't seem to find much info on it. But I like the look of the tank.

I really like the success I am seeing people having with the RSM systems. Very impressive IMO.
Personally, I would build my own. Makes being a hobbyist more fulfilling for me :)
I have a 14 gallon Biocube out in the garage that I ripped apart and have been tinkering with. Basically doing away with the front curved pane by reversing the filtration the the front. Modding the chambers and having the back flat glass as the front now.
I'll more the likely give it away to some kid at church when it is done. Nano's are not my thing~

Back