What anemone will host my True Percula

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bengeeee

We'll, i have a true percula rather large female that is desiring a home.

I have done some research and have not really come up with a hardy anemone to pick for her.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Ben

Ben, you can maybe check with the clown expert Elmo18. One thing I do know about clowns, from my own experience, is that they will not always host an anemone no matter which one you put in there. I've had 2 percs, 1 black & white perc, 1 tomato, and 1 sebae and they never went near to my anemone. Even when I transferred them into my friends tank when I took mine down, they wouldn't go in any of his either. I guess it just depends on the fish.

bengeeee said:
We'll, i have a true percula rather large female that is desiring a home.

I have done some research and have not really come up with a hardy anemone to pick for her.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Ben

Hi Ben. In the wild Amphiprion percula has several anemones that they may choose to live in. These anemones are not on my list of 'easy' to be kept anemones. In addition, only about two or three of these are on the easier to get category. Merten's and Gigantea carpet anemones, you really have to dig deeper...

Heteractis magnifica (Ritteri)
Heteractis crispa (Sebae)
Stichodactyla gigantea (Gigantea Carpet)
Stichodactyla haddoni (Haddon's Carpet)
Stichodactyla mertensii (Merten's Carpet)

On that note, I would not keep any of the above anemones as your first anemone. In our tanks, True Perculas will pick other anemones as well, IF the above anemones above are not present.

My suggestion would be to get a Rose or Regular Bubble tip anemone (Entacmaea quadricolour), and don't forget to acclimated slowly. You also have to remember that clownfishes do not need anemones to live in our tanks. They will do fine with a ceramic mug, a claypot, and so forth.

Best,

Ilham

Back