What are these lil' buggers?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hi all,
Tanks are seemingly doing great. I've got a question about something I'm seeing in my 29 gal. These are on the glass and tiny. They aren't amphipods or copipids...and also aren't mysid shrimp. I've learned what all those look like and do seem plenty of them. These new critters actually look like TINY starfish. They seem to be about 1/8" in diameter and have 5 legs, in a star pattern. I do have lots of small bristlestars in the tank so that might actually be what they are. I will try and get some pics soon but they're so tiny, I don't know if I'll be able to. They're all over the glass...tons of them!! Also getting several sponges growing in both tanks. They look like a Q-Tip that's been removed from the shaft. They seem to have a funnel shaped hole in them. Most of them are an off-white color but I'm seeing some that appear in different colors. I'm hoping that both of these items are good for the tank and not something I need to be worried about. lol.

Krish, they look exactly like your photo!! lol. I originally thought they might be hydroids. So in your thread, they're called hydroids and jellyfish. Did you ever find out what they actually are? Charlie, I've a good idea where they came from as well...lol. Either that or from the Chaeto that Barbie gave me. It's full of Bristlestars!! I've since split it up between the two tanks. They're cute lil' buggers.

Krish, they look exactly like your photo!! lol. I originally thought they might be hydroids. So in your thread, they're called hydroids and jellyfish. Did you ever find out what they actually are? Charlie, I've a good idea where they came from as well...lol. Either that or from the Chaeto that Barbie gave me. It's full of Bristlestars!! I've since split it up between the two tanks. They're cute lil' buggers.

ROFL! Nope!:p They eventually went away and now I've just noticed them again on my new cube I just set up last weekend. Apparently, they aren't anything bad so it's cool:)

Hmmm, interesting. There sure are a lot of them. I'm also seeing an explosion of pods and mysid shrimp. I guess this is a good thing. It surprises me as I recently purchased a used diatom filter and have ran it a few times. I figured that'd suck up a lot of the smaller life. I guess as long as they're in the sand or stuck to the glass it wouldn't though. Sure has helped with the algae though!!

Had them in my tank too. Didn't cause any problems. Kevinpo at Aquatic Dreams told me they were part of the jellyfish family.

Michael,
I get these from time to time do they resemble this...took this pic with a magnifying glass in front of my camera...lol

LMBO!!! :lol: :lol:

dood i guess Krish has a twin sister :lol: :lol: .

how you doing Krishna :lol: :D , sorry i couldn't handle the hijacking..........................back to the main topic .

They look just like what Krish posted in her old thread

:eek: I had to drop my pants and do an inspection man!!! What the heck!!!! :lol: For the record, I am a guy, dude, man, male and I am married to a woman, female and I have a baby on the way which means it should be mine!!! :shock: (LOL)

For those of you who don't know...Here is an ID for you. This is Krish...Me short for Krishna (sissy name if you ask me, but anyways I'll kick my parents A%# when I see them again and no...I'm not the Hindu god! :mad: ) I am a male and if this was not a family site I'd elaborate a bit more :shock: This is me and my god child Hailee. This is the most recent photo of me taken a few weeks ago:p MALE!!!!!!

can we see the one in the bikini :lol:.

and it's not Krishna.... it's krishant or you can call him .... Krish to the Krisho :p.

now where's that twin sister of yours :lol: .

Back