What are these?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Mr Tang

Can anyone tell me what these are only been growing on LR since I moved it into new Tank.
Also can anyone put a name to this coral?
Thanks

Is this it?

If so I found the information in the "Coral/Invert Gallery" towards the bottom in the "common hitchhiker" id section.

Neomeris annulata -

Common names: Caterpillar Weed, Fuzzy Tip Algae, or Spindleweed​

This is a harmless algae that is found growing on live rock. The top of this algae has a fuzzy appearance, and the bottom is calcified and white, as calcium is incorporated into the body structure. The calcification in this species occurs in annular rows surrounding gametangia. Usually observed growing in a group.​

Last edited:
Codium is the Genus, google for images and you will find the specific species (or close)

Some like it as a food for fish.

Last edited:
Mr Tang, if only you lived locally I would love to take some of that "pest algae" from you! I love that stuff! I know it seems weird, but there are certain nuisance critters/algae that I like (like Valonia). If you ever want to mail me some, let me know :)

BTW, that is a very pretty coral you have there!

Mr Tang, if only you lived locally I would love to take some of that "pest algae" from you! I love that stuff! I know it seems weird, but there are certain nuisance critters/algae that I like (like Valonia). If you ever want to mail me some, let me know :)

You sure about that? (Luckily, this isn't my tank)

11194new_tank_in_green.jpg

11194new_TANG_W_1.jpg

Back