What ATO for reef tanks without sump?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jaysauce

Is anyone here running an ATO in a tank without a separate sump/refugium tank?

Can you please tell me what kind of ATO you are using, how you like it and maybe a pic of how you have it setup....

I am thinking of getting one but since I don't have a separate sump tank I would have to put it in my display tank so I think I would need something that only allows for a very small drop in water level.

I used to have my ATO hooked up directly to the display when I had no sump (I've since added a sump, but still use the same ATO, just relocated it to the sump).

I used this one: http://autotopoff.com/products/DT1/

It's a bit of an eyesore, but besides that it works flawlessly. They also make a single unit, which would of course mean 1/2 as much in your display, but then you lose the redundancy.

I set it up pretty much exactly as you'll see in the link above. Also, if you go with the above, you'll need to get an aqualifter pump, which is pretty cheap (less than $15 iirc).

HTH,

Rob

How much would your water level drop before it kicked on?

I used to have my ATO hooked up directly to the display when I had no sump (I've since added a sump, but still use the same ATO, just relocated it to the sump).

I used this one: http://autotopoff.com/products/DT1/

It's a bit of an eyesore, but besides that it works flawlessly. They also make a single unit, which would of course mean 1/2 as much in your display, but then you lose the redundancy.

I set it up pretty much exactly as you'll see in the link above. Also, if you go with the above, you'll need to get an aqualifter pump, which is pretty cheap (less than $15 iirc).

HTH,

Rob

This is the only pic I could find where you can see the ATO, but unfortunately it's cut off a bit. I think the water level is probably another inch higher than the pic shows.

fishtank177.jpg

I have one of these:

http://www.aquahub.com/store/autotopoffcomp.html

Its a DIY kit, the switches are very small and easily mountable with their "mold-a-holder"

There are 2 kits, on has a switch and a backup that you put a bit higher (incase a switch sticks, so you don't overfill.)

The other has a 3rd switch that you reverse and put in the ATO reservoir, so if it runs dry, you don't burn up the pump.

rob

roblou...
Did you have to do any maintenance to your system?

jrgilles..
Thanks but I'm not really into those mold a holder things.

jaysauce: what do you mean maintenance? do you mean did I have do modify anything to get the ATO installed? If so, then yes I did, since my tank has eurobracing on the top, with some cutouts for overflow, etc. The mounting hardware that came with the ATO is made for a regular tank (w/o eurobracing), so it didn't fit. I had to improvise a solution to have the float switches mounted.

Did you have to clean the float switch / switch housing every month? Did you have to clean the holes of the housing? Or did you just set it and forget it?

jaysauce: what do you mean maintenance? do you mean did I have do modify anything to get the ATO installed? If so, then yes I did, since my tank has eurobracing on the top, with some cutouts for overflow, etc. The mounting hardware that came with the ATO is made for a regular tank (w/o eurobracing), so it didn't fit. I had to improvise a solution to have the float switches mounted.

Ah, gotcha. The only time I cleaned the housings was when I had algae growing on them, and I only cleaned them for asthetic reasons. Otherwise, it was just set & forget. Never had any problems with either float switch sticking, or any of the holes getting plugged.

Back