What bulb should I get of these three?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

aquarookie

Pure Poison :)
I have a 250 watt Icecap (old style) electronic ballast, I am getting a single ended bulb and looking at Ushio 14k, Phoenix 14k and Radium 20k. I tried to look at specs but I can't seem to find PAR ratings and such. I've heard that the old style Icecap will underdrive the Radium and make it look dull and purple. Is that true? I am not as concerned about color as I am about PAR and bulb life, but a nice color would be a benefit for sure. Thanks in advance for your input!

Pheonix has been my favorite bulb throuhgout the years with an icecap ballast. Ive tried alot of them.

In use Phoenix 14K's in the DE design adn I really like them. I'd imagine the SE are quite similar in color.

For SE bulbs. I like radiums, 14k hamilton and 20k xm.
For DE bulbs. I like 14k pheonix , 14k hamilton and 20k xm.

In use Phoenix 14K's in the DE design adn I really like them. I'd imagine the SE are quite similar in color.

I have XM 20K on my frag tank and use the Phoenix 14K's DE on my DT and love the color. With my preference being Phoenix 14k's to me looks more natural and not to blue yet makes my corals color pop!

+1 for the Phoenix. I had it for a while and loved the color. I'm using T5 now, but I still liked the Phoenix color the best.

Well, I got a new bulb (yay!!). I was going to get a Phoenix but at over $100 plus tax it just was out of my budget. So I thought I'd get a radium but was told that the bulb life is a bit shorter (again, more money in the long run). Well, Blue Sierra just happened to have one Ushio 20k in stock and they said if I didn't like it, I could return it. I now have it lighting up my tank and looking beautiful, although the color looks more purple than the Phoenix 14k DE that I have over the tank next to it. Is the old style Icecap ballast underdriving the Ushio making it purple, or is there another reason for it?

Thanks!

Well, I got a new bulb (yay!!). I was going to get a Phoenix but at over $100 plus tax it just was out of my budget. So I thought I'd get a radium but was told that the bulb life is a bit shorter (again, more money in the long run). Well, Blue Sierra just happened to have one Ushio 20k in stock and they said if I didn't like it, I could return it. I now have it lighting up my tank and looking beautiful, although the color looks more purple than the Phoenix 14k DE that I have over the tank next to it. Is the old style Icecap ballast underdriving the Ushio making it purple, or is there another reason for it?

Thanks!

First I've heard about the Radium's bulb life being shorter, and I've been using them for 5-6 years.:doubt:

First I've heard about the Radium's bulb life being shorter, and I've been using them for 5-6 years.:doubt:

The guys at Barrier reef told me that. I don't know, I've been using my XM 15k for over 2 years now and I know that's a bit too long :)

Quit a few years ago I had some XM's and the color shifted after 6 months. I bought them because they were cheaper, but since that happened I don't think I would buy them again.

Back