What bulbs?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pandora32

Im in need of some new bulbs. ALL OF THEM! So i might be getting them with my tax return. I am wondering which ones i shoud get. Ive been told by some people to get phoenix 14k. I would need 3 of them in 250w double end (hqi). Im also going to be replacing atleast one ballast. What would you all recommend for bulbs? Me and the wife like the 20k look, being more blue, so would xm or another brand be a better choice? Pictures would be great of what your lights look like on your tank.
Also will be changing the T5 bulbs in the fixture. Not exactly sure on the length of these buls. There are 2 of them, 1 on each side of the metal halides. The fixture is 72". Ive never bought T5 bulbs before.
Any help AT ALL would be GREAT!

I prefer the phoenix 14K or 15K(dont remember which way they came) with ATI T5 true actinics. Great color combo.
So thats what I would recommend is the phoenix DE MH and either ATI or Giesmann T5 actinics

Last edited:
No,
I got mine at Barrier when they had their sale. They were 25 or 30% off or something like that.
Not sure when their next sale is.
Otherwise, there is ...I'll pm you.

Ok. Ive decided to go ahead and replace ALL the bulbs. Going to go with the phoenix 14k and ATI true actinic 03 T5. Lots "o" money, for me anyways...lol. Was looking lastnight and realized one of my bulbs for my fuge is out, thought it looked kinda dim
Any thoughts on a decent set of bulbs? I have an ADHI Model 60 that came with their fixture. It houses 3 compact flouresent bulbs that are 32w ea. I do keep some softie corals down there along with my dsb and cheato. Lots of pods and other living whatnots.

straight 20k radiums give a great bright look without being too blue. I have tried pheonix, iwaski and currnetly wish I never bought ushios. would go with radiums in hindsight.

I like the way the radiums look, but i can only find them with a mogul base. I need double ended. Question above was pertaining to my sump. Its a mix of blues and whites right now, but if 10k bulbs would be better for the fuge, then im going to use those instead of a mix bulb setup like now.

I've used XM's,(10k & 15k) AB13k's, Hamilton 14K's, Ushio 10K's and Phoenix 14K's.
I prefer the Phoenix bulbs in color and PAR. Not quite the PAR monsters that the XM 10K's or the Iwasaki's are, but they are close to the XM's and give off a better more "crisp" light IMO. The fact that they were inexpensive was also a huge plus in my book.

As far as your fuge goes.....what you doing with it?
Growing macro? If so go with an inexpensive bulb that is closer to 5-6K in spectrum. Algae uses more reds than blues to grow.
If you're using your fuge to house other photosynthetic critters, look towards a similarly colored bulbs as your display tank.

Nick

I always was a fan of the Phoenix 14K's. great color and decent PAR. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im going to keep a dsb with some rock in the fuge. I am getting tired of the cheato in there...lol. So im planning on building an algae scrubber. Other than that, probably nothing else down there. My wife has been asking me about a display fuge more since i showed her kipiotrowskis display fuge. She wants seahorses now...lol. Thats not anywhere close to reality right now.

Back