What can be used to keep the live rock separated from the substrate.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

carlos_fb

Caribe Piranha
I recently read an article in which they recommended to keep the live rock separated from the substrate in order to prevent dead spots and detritus so I was wondering what can be used to accomplish this.

People use acrylic rods or pieces of PVC to raise them up or even egg rate, but in any event, if you don't want to go that route, add the rock first, and then place the sand in around it. That's the proper way to do it anyways not sand in the tank and rock on top. With sand, you will be limited on the amount of flow you can direct down low as with too much flow, you'll have a sand storm so keep that into consideration as well:)

You can use alot of different things. Many people make platforms out of pvc pipe and eggcrate.
I just bought some flat acrylic from Jason at Clear Fabrications.
I also bought some 3/8" acrylic rod on ebay. I got 12' for $3.
I'm going to drill holes in the flat acrylic and glue in different lenghts of the rod. That will support the rock off the bottom of the tank and allow water movement under the rock.
Many acrylic shops will make these for you and you can find some on ebay, but I'm cheap and will make my own.

Last edited:
You can use alot of different things. Many people make platforms out of pvc pipe and eggcrate.
I'm going to drill holes in the flat acrylic and glue in different lenghts of the rod. That will support the rock off the bottom of the tank and allow water movement under the rock.
Many arylic shops will make these for you and you can find some on ebay, but I'm cheap and will make my own.

That's an interesting idea. Where can I see some pictures of these platforms?

Also some people like to get the acrylic rod and drill holes in the live rock to create legs.

Many acrylic shops will make these for you and you can find some on ebay, but I'm cheap and will make my own.

This is similar to what I did also. Except I went to Tap Plastics. I took some flat 3/8" acrylic scribbed a 1" grid on it and drilled 3/8" holes at each intersecting grid lines. Then I cut the 3/8" acrylic rod and placed it in the holes where i needed to support rocks. Keeps my rocks lifted up off the bottom and provided space for my return/spray bar under the rocks.

Basically made a acrylic peg board.

Works like a charm..

Finn. No need to glue. The pegs will fit nice and tight. If you ever decided to reaquascape your stuck with pegs in places you might not want.

I'll see if I can get a pic of mine.

Edit: Added Pics.

Last edited:
Finn. No need to glue. The pegs will fit nice and tight. If you ever decided to reaquascape your stuck with pegs in places you might not want.

Edit: Added Pics.

That is a good idea,
but I prefer to glue anything I can't reach from the surface.

You know...You can always just go bare bottom and shoot a couple thousand gph of flow at the floor of the tank;)

Back