what can I do???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Juanfer

Juanfer
I used to have a spotted mandarin fish until he died!!!
now i have an over popolation of copepods, do you have any idea of what fish could I get besides a spotted mandarin fish?????
I have lps and soft corals, also 2 sea apples and 2 sea cucumbers, any idea??:confused:

Just curious as to why you want to get rid of your copepods? Their population is a good thing, IMO. As with other critters, their food source will dictate the population. It will only grow to so big, then they will run out of food to feed this large population, so it will die off a bit, until a balance is met. What size tank is this?

On a side note, Sea Apples are not good inhabitants for a reef tank, IMO. They are better left in a species tank. Here's an article for you: Sea Apples

Although not mentioned in that article here's another tidbit. Even if you can successfully keep a sea apple well fed and happy, a happy sea apple spawns. If a large enough tank and a male sea apple, you can get through the event unscathed. If a female spawns on the otherhand, pretty much every fish in the tank (except eels for some reason) will be dead within an hour or so of the event.

The eggs are highly toxic and usually quick to be destroyed as they pass through your equipment. There is no way to differentiate between a female and a male.

Cheers
Steve

I believe that a sixline wrasse would love a tank with lots of copepods. Clown gobies also eat them.

thanks, I read the sea apple article. Before I bought them I Informed myself, but what can I tell you I just fall in love with them and now they are just doing fine!!
I was thinking could I have a cherub angelfish in my 190 gallon tank????

the african, would it be a bad idea?????
Centropyge acanthops (?) would be in the grouping of, if it can get at it it will eat it. More commonly though they irritate corals significantly rather tha eat them outright. They are constantly nipping at them, quite often resulting in damage or poor health.

Cheers
Steve

lol my clown is afraid of pods,

seacucumbers sound like trouble 2 me

so what dwarf angelfish do you recomend??

The are a select few but before I say so, is it for the sake of adding an angel or for controlling the "pod" population?

The reason I ask is twofold, the angel will be very ineffective and I would very strongly urge you not to limit the fauna population within your system. They are a very very important part of your intricate ecosystem. You wouldn't believe the difference they make to the overall success of a tank.

Cheers
Steve

ok so now that I kwow that having an overpopulation of pods is a good thing(a relief finally) I am looking to a dwarf angelfish, what species do you recomend???

If being kept with corals of any kind I would stick to Watanabe, Eibli, Lamarck and Blackspot. They are the least likely to be a concern although the Eibli is the only small one of the bunch.

Any of the more colorful angels will not hesitate to nibble or outright destroy most corals, soft or "LPS" tyoe in particular.

:idea: Do you have any Idea if I could order live stuff from the U.S, I mean do you know what should I have to do to bring fish into my country?:confused: ??
I live in guatemala city and trust me, it is very difficult to find marine animals and corals:( , and I am looking for sps corals( there is no store that have any sps) so if you know anything abaut that I would really apreciate it!!!;)

That I have no idea about. You would need to contact your local government officials. An easier way might be a customs brokerage office?

thanks, I read the sea apple article. Before I bought them I Informed myself, but what can I tell you I just fall in love with them and now they are just doing fine!!I was thinking could I have a cherub angelfish in my 190 gallon tank????

Did you ever say why you want to get rid of your copepods? I'm also curious why you would want to. They're good for your tank.

I would also advice against an angel of any kind. Even the dwarf ones tend to get a little nippy. Why not a firefish or cardinal?

thanks:) , but I think that the only ones available in my pet store is the eibl, and the pygmy(african and caribean) but I am not too sure if they could live without hurting my corals and sea apples:confused:
are you completely shure abaut the eibli?????

Back