What Chiller to Buy?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

saltwaterfishes

12 Step Zoa Program
My chiller for my 65g tank is broken....I'm looking for one that is quiet, not too expensive. Any suggestions?

I've heard good things about Pacific coast chillers, I don't have one (hoping i wont need one this summer) but I've heard good things from those that have them

I've heard good things about Pacific coast chillers, I don't have one (hoping i wont need one this summer) but I've heard good things from those that have them

I think my broken one is Pacific coast...worked great for 3 years.
Ended up ordering a JBJ 1/10 hp, suppose to be really quiet. I have both tanks in the kitchen, anything to reduce the noise is a big plus for me. I can't go without a chiller....both tanks are enclosed so they get pretty warm, I want to keep my corals happy:lol:

Tradewind chillers are great.
Do they come smaller?

Ended up ordering a JBJ 1/10 hp, suppose to be really quiet. I have both tanks in the kitchen, anything to reduce the noise is a big plus for me. I can't go without a chiller....both tanks are enclosed so they get pretty warm, I want to keep my corals happy:lol:

Do they come smaller?

Tagging along. I have a 65g as well and my temp was at 82 last night. Should be 76!

Do they come smaller?

I think 1/5th hp is thier smallest. It will do a total of 120g.

Tagging along. I have a 65g as well and my temp was at 82 last night. Should be 76!

Mine was also at 82 yesterday. Usually around 78. I have not turn on MH for 3 days prior. MH on today....hopefully tank doesn't get too warm, might have to turn it off MH.

Yeah I kinda regret selling my chiller now. A 1/3 HP TW chiller. It was undersized for my system anyways but would've been a good insurance to have around! My tank reached 81 yesterday. It usually stays around 76-79 degrees. I guess going from 250s to 400w MH makes a HUGE difference in heat! I didn't have any heat problem last year with the heat wave with the 250s. I hope i can keep the tank at or below 82 degrees this summer with just fans and possibly just running only the middle MH.

Tagging along...

I have a 1/12 HP chiller I got for free that seems to work. Haven't hooked it up yet. Hoping to get by with that, a couple clip on fans that turn on from my aquacontroller when the temp gets to +1 over what it should be, and if I need to on the hottest days, maybe some 2-liter bottles that are frozen that I can rotate in and out of the freezer.....

We'll see how that goes.

Tagging along...
maybe some 2-liter bottles that are frozen that I can rotate in and out of the freezer.....
I did this with my 40b and it worked out great for that small tank. I'm not too sure how well that would work in a 350g system though. I want to avoid using another power hog such as a chiller if at all possible.

Fritz Teco Teclima chillers are our favorite. Super quiet! Most of the Pacific Coast models are good too but their CL650 1/4hp has seemed to have more issues recently. With any chiller maintaining it is critical. Keep the inside dusted and clean. They must ventilate. Also, clean your in/out lines once per year with vinegar or diluted muriatic acid. Obviously, while its disconnected. Short cycling due to restricted flow and poor ventilation will result in premature failure of any chiller.

Fritz Teco Teclima chillers are our favorite. Super quiet! Most of the Pacific Coast models are good too but their CL650 1/4hp has seemed to have more issues recently. With any chiller maintaining it is critical. Keep the inside dusted and clean. They must ventilate. Also, clean your in/out lines once per year with vinegar or diluted muriatic acid. Obviously, while its disconnected. Short cycling due to restricted flow and poor ventilation will result in premature failure of any chiller.

Hey Cy, what does a 1/10th HP TECO chiller run? Cost wise...

Hey Cy, what does a 1/10th HP TECO chiller run? Cost wise...

TR5 1/12HP Reg $499.99 Up To 60G
TR10 1/8HP Reg $644.99 Up To 90G
TR15 1/5HP Reg. $799.99 (+freight) Up To 130G
TR20 1/3HP Reg. $899.99 (+freight) Up To 250G
TR30 1/2HP Reg. $1679.99 (+freight) Up To 750G
TR60 1HP Reg. $2164.99 (+freight) Up To 1300G

Most units have optional UV Sterlizers and Heaters available. Items marked "+freight" are shipped on a pallet with a freight company. Freight will usually run an extra $120.

We have the TR5 and TR10 in-stock right now.

Nice chiller....a lot features.

Hey Caitlen. Where did you order your chiller from?
I ordered my JBJ 1/10 HP from AquaCave.....found a 5% discount code online.

Back