What controller?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

H

holdendaniel

Looking into getting a controller for ph for my tank i also need a heater controler as well so i thought i would get the neptune apex controller...just wondering what better ones there are i would like it to beable to read salinity what is everyone eelse using to monitor your system

IMHO, none of them have a good salinity probe (and need to be calibrated constantly)..so do not let this be your only requirement in purchasing one...

what controller is a good one for salinity ?

I doubt there is one. Salinity or conductivity probes dont do well left in the system no matter the brand. They are more suited for pure water applications and spot checking SW.

Don

I check my salinity with a hydrometer I ordered from china. It was cheap and is really easy to use.

I have the apex controller and love it. The controllers are a bit pricey, but since I was just getting the system set up, and figured I'd have one eventually, I just went for it and got the apex.

I think it was a great call, as all the electrical, kalk drips, etc. are now built around the controller. The programmable outlets are sweet. If you get it and need programming help, let me know.

I only very periodically check tank salinity. I check it for my water change water, but with a top off on my tank, the tank just holds steady. pH and temp probes are great though (both come with the apex.) Heaters obviously on the temp probe, but if temp gets a half degree above set temp, fans turn on, 2 deg above set temp, MH's shut off for 30 min then re-evaluate, etc.

Have kalk dripping at night if the pH probe conditions are bet (on the hour between 9 pm and 6 am, if pH is less than 8.15, drip for 1 minute.)

Anyway, I love the apex.

where did you buy your apex form best deal i found is marine depot?

If you just want one that is good yet cheap look at Reefgeek.com

they have the Aqua Controller III with the probes and a DC8 from $599 to $699

as far as salinity, all the ones out there suck too much tinkering to make it worth it.

Hey daniel, I bought it from marinedepot. There could be a group buy that gets a better price, but marinedepot seemed to have a decent price tag. I got the uper level package (there were 2 different ones I think, one was pretty bare).

It came with a temp probe, ph probe, outlet strip, and the controller/connections hub.

Back