What do you all think???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

rainier29

What do you all think??? New 16g AGA bowfront

Well it's finally done to the point that I can actually say it looks like a reeftank. Any constructive comments would be greatly appreciated.

PICT0068.jpg

PICT0069.jpg

PICT0064.jpg

PICT0302.jpg

PICT0304.jpg

PICT0306.jpg

PICT0307.jpg

PICT0311.jpg

PICT0313.jpg

Last edited:
This took me 3 weeks (most of the rock and occupants of the tank resided in my old 15 gallon prior to this)...two 16 gallon AGA bowfronts (I broke the 1st one and almost gave up). Numerous trial and error attempts with plumbing (I'm still not happy with that). And a whole lot of support from my wife (she actually squirted the water on the diamond bits when I drilled the holes). I'm pretty happy with the results. Not too sure if I'm going to keep using the 175 watt hamilton though. Just had it laying around.

Thats pretty dang cool. That looks like a lot of work put in.
So basicly your wife is getting something super cool for valentines day. LOL

LOL...yeah she is...Thanks for the comment. Just finished calculating the GPH...somewhere around 1100.

Last edited:
Ill be honest, im an honest guy thats what i do. Looks nice and adds a sophisticated look to a nice office. Thats my honest opinion

Wow! Looks great! I love the pendant.

Question (ok...questionssss :D) - I see you have a split return through a scwd...or is that a closed loop? I'm trying to figure out how you have the it plumbed. The bottom outputs are on a closed loop? Are you running a skimmer? What size sump is that?

Thanks everyone. Yes the return is throught he scwd. The closed loop is coming out through the curved pvc in the middle and back in through the 1/2 fittings on the bottom. Haven't got a skimmer on it yet. Looking for one though:) The sump is a value village aquistion...it's an 18 gallon long that I picked up for 6 bucks. I added the baffles and drilled it for the externally mounted little giant 4.

Not sure yet Marty what kind of corals I'm going to put in here. I'm thinking that with the amount of flow I have I'm kinda forced to go SPS...Oh darn:)

Thanks krish...funny thing about the rockwork. I couldn't see ANYTHING when I put it in...it was soooooooo cloudy. I just kinda tossed it in with the intention of changing it later. When it cleared up I thought it was pretty cool so I kept it. One thing that I thought was VERY cool: You can get a LOT more rock in a bowfront than you can a regular tank of the same size. At least 6 of these pieces couldn't fit into the 15 gallon that I had before.

The tank looks great, I like your rock work. Couple of questons. What lighting are you running? and What livestock do you have in it at the moment?

-Camile

I'm running a hamilton 174 watt 14000k bulb. Don't have much in there yet...just the clown goby and a serpent star.

One thing I might modify though is switching the returns from the sump to the top and removing the scwd. Then modifying the scwd to have three outputs and then putting the scwd on the closed loop and have it switch between the three closed loop outlets. Any thoughts????

THAT is a sweet nano!
i look forward to seeing it full of acro.
i think your idea of taking the scwd off the return and putting it on the closed loop is a good one;)
if anything it will break the siphon easier having the return up high, although im sure you accomodated for that in your current plumbing.
you should try out one of those asm baby g skimmers, perfect!

Yes I have a syphon break on BOTH locline returns near the bulkheads. Now if I can just remember to make sure that they don't clog up with coraline....

Back