What do you feed your ZOOs?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

acrylic_300

Cleaner Shrimp
I'm new and only have one colony but they are a large variety. So far they will eat about anything--large shrimp chunks, brine shrimp, flake food... If there is something they dont like it gently travels from the center to the outer edge and drops off and if they do like it they snap shut and devour it.

I was wondering what gives the best results? I haven't heard much about feeding. Mine look healthier after they eat.

Thx

Well I have never seen Zoanthids eat anything. Paly's on the other had will eat pretty much anything that happens to fall on them.

well i have different types of zoos and none of them eat anything.
Right now i've been adding some phytoplankton to my tank and i really don't see anything different, but then again i've never added anything until 2 weeks ago.

Ok, maybe I have Palys then. Do they have taller stems and longer tenticles? Some of these are the size of an American quarter. I thought they were just big Zoanthids.

Sorry I'm new :confused:

Oh, something I could add that may help (because the palys are big enough to see whats going on). Smaller particles land on the polyp and slowly move to the mouth --unless it's not food then it moves outward and falls off the edge. So It would be hard to tell if they where eating or not.

Feeding your Zoo's

I got 8 to 9 differents Zoo's. I feed them phytomax and zoomax. I do also feed my fishes Mysis. And Zooanthids love these mysis. Mysis would accidently fall on the Zoo's and you can actually see the Zoo's close in on them and seeing their mouth's open.

Many arguement prevails on whether or not to feed zooanthids. I have personally witnessed systems which thrive without adding any food at all. Zooanthids are photosynthetic and they will fair perfectly well without food additives. Feeding is a secondary, not primary source of sustaining nutrients for zooanthids. If a colony doesn't exhibit a prey/capture behavior, it doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't feeding. I feed very lightly every 3 to 4 days a mixture of DT's Oyster Eggs, ESV's Spray Dried Marine Phyto Plankton, Phyto Feast, Frozen Cyclop eeez and periodic brine or mysis.

Zoos and Palys will even feed at night time, this is why one of the feedings is done 2 hours after the actinics are off with my moon lights on. I turn all of the circulatory pumps off and I allow the food to suspend and slowly settle. I will turn the pumps back on for a few seconds just to stir any food near the surface.

A system with stable parameters across the board, with adequate lighting and most importantly, a very strong but not overpowering random or oscillating current, will keep your zoos very happy and healthy. I have found that zoos are very forgiving in that stability is more important than perfect parameters across the board with the exception of Alk. A dkh of 9 to 10 is optimal.

Bottom line, a water change at least once a month to replentish trace elements, strong current, good lighting and stable readings will yield a very good crop of zoos. It's worked for me for many years.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was preaching to the choir.

Mucho

Last edited:
Back