What do you guys think of my fish list?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NewGirl

:rolleyes:Hi there everyone, and Happy Thanksgiving!

As I'm gathering all my equipment together for my future LPS and fish tank, I've been doing a lot of reading trying to come up with a good fish list. It's been revised more times than I can count, and I came up with what I hope to be the final one. My tank size is 150 gallons: 48" long by 24" wide by 30" tall. Here's my list:

Bluechin Trigger (non-negotiable--GOT to have one!)
Regal Tang (1)
Foxface (1)
2 Percula Clowns
Orchid Dottyback (1)
Sixline Wrasse (1)

I'm brand new at saltwater, and I'm hoping you guys can advise me on my fish list. I look forward to any advice and recommendations. Thanks so much! :)

Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

With the exception of some restrictions on the Tang and Foxface, the list looks good. Both these fish, when they exceed 3" should be in a display tank that is 6 or more feet long.

Good luck!

:DThanks a lot, Lee! I'm glad I found out now! What do you think would be other good fish to go with the ones my list? My main goal is to have happy, healthy fish, and I'm going to do my best to see to that!:D:D

newgirl,

Personally, I would rather have a foxface than a tang. Foxface are not nearly suspectible to Ich like the Tangs are. I have a gold spotted rabbitfish in my tank and I love it. The only tang I plan on adding is a Red Sea Blonde Naso Tang. It will be one of the last fish to be added since tangs can be territorial.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7329275@N05/1089126812/

Kirk

Choosing fishes is very personal IMHO. I can't help you with that. However, if you want Anemonefish and Wrasses, you should look towards fishes that are assertive and not shy. There is a chance that the "Bluchin Trigger" could turn out to be too shy to get along with the Anemonefish.

Remember that Anemonefish are Damselfishes. Read up on the 'attitude' of Damsels. :)

Choosing fishes is very personal IMHO. :)

I have never heard anyone say that, but it is very true. I treat my fish as pets, and would hate to have to part with one because I didn't plan very well.

With that said. If I were to choose between a foxface and tang. I would go with the foxface.

newgirl,

once last thing, tangs and foxfaces basically perform the same function: they consume a great deal of algae, however foxfaces IMO tend to be hardier and less suspectible to disease.

:rolleyes:As my tank isn't long enough for a tang or a foxface, how about 5 green chromis and two banggai cardinalfish, or the 5 chromis and a coral beatuy as an alternative? Thanks again for all the replies; you guys are all a great help.:)

My Coral Beauty does a great job on algae but was very shy for the first YEAR! Yes I know year. I believe this fish was very young when I got "her". I have a tank that is only 3 feet long but I do keep one yellow Tang. These two fish require lots of maintainence as in cleaning the tank but they are thriving. My tank is 55 gal. and I have had these fish for 1 and 1/2 years.

Hi Roscoe,

I haven't gotten my tank set up yet; I'm still working on getting all my stuff together and coming up with species lists; I don't think I'll be getting a foxface, now I'm leaning more towards a yellow tang with the other fish on my list.:D

IMO yellow tangs are beautiful but can be highly agressive. I have one in a 55 and it will not allow any other fish to be placed in the tank. it attacks them almost instantly. good luck

:)Thanks, Kinley, for your input. After doing some more reading I've decided not to include any tangs in my tank.

Kinley,

Which is why I suggest any tang added to a system should be the last fish added (esp a Purple Tang).

Back