What do you guys think?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

YamahaF934

Alright so I know you are going to say no canister filter, but I am really looking for some extra flow and mechanical filtration ( I dont have a problem cleaning it a lot either). . . I have a hang on protein skimmer, and hang on power filter which is underpowered for my size tank. I also have three korlia 4's and 80 lbs live rock.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=270520042532&Category=46310&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=160398771513&Category=46310&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2

Keep in mind limited funds and just looking for more flow/mechanical filtration.

I use to use one to run carbon in. They are not bad as long as you keep them clean.

o.k. so i see from your other thread all this is motivated by your improper cleaning/adding of the sand.
DEFINATELY dont dont buy a cannister filter because the water doesnt clear fast enough for you.

if your going to do/change anything,
get a sump(rubbermaid container or cheap glass tank), and put in that sump; a decent in-sump skimmer, media reactor(not cannister filter), refugium, and filter sock. and if you want more flow buy another powerhead.

If your tank is acrylic, it's easy to put in a closed loop system to help with added flow.

I second the motion of getting a sump. The biggest benefit is you get to increase your total water volume in your tank, not to mention everything is kept out of site.

They are fairly cheap and simple to build. There are numerous sites on the net that will show you how to build a sump.

I have recently redo my aquascape turning my tank into a sps only tank. During the process, I replaced old softies rock and added new rock/and to my 40Gal w/ 20Gal sump. By having the HOB skimmer near the intake of the sump, I noticed it skimmed out lots of white residual from the settling sand/rock and my tank clear out as quickly as the sump water turnover within the matter of 4 hours. Having a sump definitely help directing unwanted things to the skimmer. On top of that, whatever the skimmer didn't picked up, they settle on the bottom of the sump and makes it very easy to manage.

big + on having a sump.

I would not run it with any sponges or pads. Use it empty, or use it for a media reactor. After a short time in a nice running system they can fill up with tube worms and such so high cleaning is a very good idea,

I could see using it for media such as carbon or phosban. Wouldn't it just work like a phosban reactor? You would need some slower flows though... I think people are opposed to it being used with sponges or pads where it would end up being a nitrate farm.

(have you thought about getting a phosban reactor instead?)

I could see using it for media such as carbon or phosban. Wouldn't it just work like a phosban reactor? You would need some slower flows though... I think people are opposed to it being used with sponges or pads where it would end up being a nitrate farm.

(have you thought about getting a phosban reactor instead?)

no, it would not work as good as a normal media reactor.

Back