What do you think about this protein skimmer?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Sorry Lyndon...don't know anything about them.....how many gallons are they rated at?? what kind of pump comes with them??? what size tank are you needing one for???if you want, you could look into an Octopus skimmer..i have one..they are very decent skimmers..mine pulls some nasty stuff out..i have the NW200 on my 125g..i love it and they have a very reasonable price tag...this place has the best prices for them!!!
http://www.aquariumextreme.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?

dont really look that impressive. a big thing in skimmers is the pump. either a decent needlewheel or a really good one. Like deltec, crappy build but great pumps. therefore concidered one of the better products out there and comanding a really high price. I would look around and find a more reputable skimmer or at least info on all the specs and the pump build.

I agree...I've never seen that one before and tend to stick with something people have had some experience with that has been proven to give you your money's worth. Just my 2 cents:)

If your into DIY you could study up on them & make one yourself but ASM makes a decent skimmer for the price.

if you are going to get the sealife get the impact. I live 5 min from their shop and all the LFS here have them. I have the 600 model it works great but you need a large pump. I run a mag 18 on the 600 and it really needs a mag24. I will post a pic to show you the foam and dwell time

Also order the Impact from here not the site you were shopping at.

www.bioreef.com

thinking about it, they are expensive and once you go above the 400 model injecting ozone is a pain. For the price you can do better. I got my 600 used for 50 bucks so I am happy

My batteries are dead on the camera and I am charging them to take a pic. Here is an older pic. The skimmer is 35 inches tall and the collection cup is bigger than my head
skimmer.jpg

Last edited:
I cleaned it 2 days ago. The brown area in the chamber is from injecting ozone last night. When I hook the ozone to the venturi the foam level drops and the junk does not make it to the collection cup. You need shop around and look at the euroreef, asm, and H&S. For what they are asking on a new impact you could get a nicer skimmer.

smimw.jpg

smim.jpg

Back