What eats grape caulerpa that won't eat sps?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Sk8r

I have the usual cleaning crew, plus a tiny sprig (dime-sized) red macro---and a little valonia, and then grape caulerpa in the main tank---rode in on rocks. The latter is getting pushy. Is there anything besides an emerald crab that might possibly eat the stuff? Linkia? Urchin? :doubt:

hmm i had sort of the same problem (i don't have sps though) but the only thing that worked for me was my emerald crab (Mr. Krabs), i had the best grape caulerpa eater ever, my now new emerald doesn't seem interested but then again i'm not constantly watching it ohhh and picking it with the twicers :p .

I'm only a 52 gal, and as far as I know there's no tang that will be happy in that. And my emerald crab finds so many things she'd rather eat that I fear my job for her is way down on her agenda, but who knows, she may grow into an appetite before it takes the tank. Sigh. Perhaps I should look at tangs, hoping for a tiny sort...I've heard of boiling the caulerpa by shooting it with hot water from a hypodermic, but that seems a little risky for my own fingers, not to mention nearby critters. Thank you both---if I learn anything outside these pages---or find a quarter-sized tang--- I'll post it.

get a smaller tang, or a rabbit fish. I cant keep halimeda, calurpa, nothing plant like in my tank tangs just assassinate it!! But dont keep it too long due to stress issues!!

A small 2" Siganus virgate rabbit fish will do the trick in a few weeks. You will have to remove it in a year or so because they become too large. As with all rabbit fish the dorsal spines are venomous so handle with care.

HTH,
Kevin

My vote is for a

Foxface (Siganus sp...can't remember exact species off the top of my head) , the one spot version.

While they will probably attack grape caulerpa this one is from a personal experience. I do not have the fish anymore, but the foxface took care of a problem in a 75 gallon reef, and also "taught" my yellow tang at the time to also eat grape caulerpa. THey were best buddies.

Best,
Ilham

There are perhaps a dozen commonly imported species rabbit fish. Different species eat types of algae (macro and micro) in nature but most will learn to eat whatever type you have if not overfed with prepared foods. One in paticular eats 82 or 83 types of algae. The Foxface is the most common of the rabbit fish in the aquarium trade. The virgate eats many more types of algae than most of the species but gets larger when full grown than the average home aquarium can sustain.
There is a great article titled "You Silly Rabbit" about different species of rabbit fish.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-05/hcs3/index.php

Regards,
Kevin

Well, I can report that Elmer the Scribbled Wabbit is extremely fond of grape caulerpa. I even had to buy him some more. ;) He cleaned out the tank in short order. I've found very little that he won't eat, except, thank goodness, my corals and his tankmates.

oh man i put that grape caulerpa in my tank for a treat for my tangs. i have a 125 gallon reef tank and no grape caulerpa in my tank. i have one clown tang and 3 yellow tangs. they love the grape caulerpa. good luck. chad

Caulerpa = poison

Calerpa is the nastiest of cyphanacious algaes. Eliminate it at all costs. It is a disaster waiting to happen! Don't take this lightly: if everything is fine it is a good source of nutrient export but the minute things do not favor it all hell breaks loose and it poisons your entire system. Leave it alone don't introduce it to your system and if it is all ready there use bleach to eliminate it. I am not being over dramtic, it is poison (third mention) to your system. It is just a matter of time.

Well, I'm back to hoping the emerald crab takes to it, and I'm getting a small refugium with cheato---which I hope will keep the algae elsewhere at bay. The rabbit ate a hundred dollars worth of shrimp, even the cleaner, and about the same amount in snails. The good news is that he got it pretty well and it may be a while before it comes back.

yeah Try a tang, just don't try a yellow tang.
One time ( i know it was a bad bad idea :p ) my husband gave me a yellow tang for my 37 gal tang and the tang never ate any caulerpa :( .

Alas, I'm a 52 corner. No room for a tang. I think next time I'll try an urchin---at least you can catch them without major reconstruction; and I have enough coralline to spare a little. The good news is---the next algae is vallonia: bubbles have succeeded the grape.

IMO valonia isn't what I would call a blessing over the caulerpa. Valonia can very quickly overrun your tank and are much more difficult to rid of.

If you do hand pick them out, take care not to burst those bubbles or they'll spread like you wouldn't believe.

D.

Back