What else do I need?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

carlos_fb

Caribe Piranha
I'm almost done getting all I need to start my first reef tank. Here's the list of what I already have, check it out and please let me know what else do you think I should get?

- 60 gallon tank
- 22 gallon sump
- Octopus 150 NW Skimmer
- Eheim 1260 Pump
- Tek Retrofit kit 4x54 (with IceCaps SLR reflectors)
- Current USA Lunar Lights (4 leds total)
- Jager 200 W Heater
- Reefkeeper 2

I still have to get a refractometer and maybe a RO/DI unit.

Do you think I need an UV sterilizer or a Calcium reactor?

Last edited:
Make sure with your pH probe you order a few extra calibration packets. They should be recalibrated every 4-6 weeks, so having extra on hand will help you keep ontop of that maintenance.

What are you going to use for additional flow in the tank, or were you only going to use your return?

You won't have a need for a Calcium Reactor until you have corals in the tank sucking up calcium. You can always get by with a 2 part supplement or dripping kalk prior to that large stocking point. UV sterilizer is also not a necessity. I have one on my tank, but didn't have it when my tank was first set-up. This was a purchase I made down the road. I would consider purchasing a temperature controller, like the Ranco, as a back up to your heater....just in case.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Hopefully other can chime in with their thoughts, too.

maybe a RO/DI unit.

To make you life easier, I would get one. Running back and forth to the LFS to get RO water sucks. I did it for a while on a smaller tank 30G but when I up sized to a 75g I bought one. Actually I just bought a new one to replace the 1 year old portable unit I had (Wanted something I could mount and hard plumb).

Just makes doing WC and topoff much easier when you have the water on hand. Always use RO water, never use tap, you'll thank yourself later with not having to fight water params, algae problems.

Sounds like you getting off to a good start. Keep up the good work :)

Everything is looking good so far Carlos. About the uv sterilizer...Not a must. I never used one and don't ever plan on it. It is all a matter of personal opinion though as there has been much debate on the subject, but I think the extra money you dish out for one could be used elsewhere on something more important. A calcium reactor, that too is up to you. It depends on how much calcium your corals demand and if you don't like adding 2 part supplements everyday, then I'd get one. I personally don't have one and just use the 2 part B-Ionic and works well for me. Like I said, if you want to save yourself the headache, then you can purchase one but people keep thriving reefs all the time without one and just dosing:)

I'm going to use two 1/2" returns and keep a flow of about 600 gph, do you think I will need more than that?

Hmmm, that depends on your aquascaping, and placement of the outputs. It may be fine like you have it, but just keep your eye out for any dead spots.

Back