What exactly is a euro-braced tank?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Fignewton

I hear this term alot, and suffice to say, I have no idea what it is. Something to do with extra material at the top of the tank? Is it glass or acrylic exclusive?

And is it "better" than a normal braced tank?

Thanks!

It is full perimeter tank bracing which is somewhat oversized in thickness, so less cross bracing is needed. Some eurobraced tanks don't have ANY cross bracing.

It's desireable because center/cross braces require cleaning often and also block light.

The caviat being, if not done properly euro-braces can fail warranting tank replacement or reinforcement.

Some refer to this as a solid top with a center cutout others use 4 pieces boxing inward around the edges and accomplish the same effect.

Eurobracing means different things to different people. With Acrylic tanks, the term refers to extra large port holes. With our tanks, you will get this automatically. Some customers want us to make their tank with larger than recommended ports, just ask Chuck. Sometimes we can, and will, and other time we just can't. The last thing we all want is for you to have problems with your new tank. I like to sleep at night, and feel you do too. But at the end of the day take your tank builders word, and go with it. Don't listen to the person who says he has a 180 with a 3/8" top with 2 ports that are 28x20.

Thanks,
Jason Gregory
CFI
worldclassaquariums.com

Back