what fish to add to a 240

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

lvsuckerfish

g funk
well in the next few weeks I plan on starting to buy my fish for my 240 what fish do you recommend

this is my want list...

Black tang
yellows tang
Powder blue
naso
atlantic blue

anthias one barbonus for sure and small mixture of others.

wrasse is a 6 line thats all for that one No sand no other wrasses other then a cleaner possible.

and maybe 1 or 2 triggers pink tail or cross hatch not sure yet

so what do you think tank wise and why

and yeah yeah yeah to the tang police.

thats the hard part is the flow I have in the tank all the fish should adapt lol I hope. I was thinking a black and yellow tang but I have to have a blue for the wife.there is plenty of swimming room the way the rock is set up. smallerI guess would be Anthias a bunch of different ones in small groups or 3 or 5.????

what are the tank dimensions?

what type of skimmer do you have?? (this along with the tank dims will determine the amount of tangs you should keep, as they eat constantly and need good skimmer to make sure the tank is clean)

IMO, save your money and dont buy a cleaner wrasse..they only eat parasites..once parasites are gone, so is your wrasse.

i would add all smaller fish first and tangs last...the triggers might be a problem for the smaller wrasses...(personally, I wouldnt do it, but your call).

the powder blue tang can be very territorial and aggressive, so if do decide to split the additions of tangs to your tank into two allotments, make sure this fish is in the last allotment.

tank is 72x 30 x 24 something along those lines my skimmer does not have a name other then the beast. it is more then enough skimmer for the system. thats not an issue. I loved my cleaner wrasse always picking on my tangs before never had ich nor a outbreak in the tank. so what some say doesn't work for ICH or what not I will always continue to feed garlic and have a cleaner wrasse as I never had an issue don't want to start now.

but yeah on adding the fish I will always treat my salt tank like my old Brackish water tanks. chiclids. the powder blue may wait until someone with a tank is taking it down something about getting out of the hobby fish I like always do real well.

but NO other Ideas on tangs and fish? which ones??

As far as small fish go, I just added a school of chromis (9) and it really made the tank seem a lot more like the reefs I see when diving - busy with a lot of little fish.

I have recently gained a fondness for fairy/flasher wrasses they tend to sleep in the rocks opposed to in the sand.

The small angels also add a lot to the tank as they are always swimming all over and darting in and out of the rock, but they can be hit and miss with coral picking

I only have 3 large fish in my 390 and I think it is pushing it even with my big ole skimmer, the two Naso tangs are very messy, this time around I chose to have fewer big fish and more small ones.

I like the vlamingii but man they get big and fast too lol all the tangs I like will get real big most that are choosen now will not get all that big so fast and have time to upgrade in the future.

krisfal I will have to look into the fairy flasher's I like those wrasses and if they sleep in rocks even better lol as they will dive into a sheet of acrylic if not lol. out of all those tangs listed the naso will get the biggest and they take for every to grow that size. Black is a 100% thing unless I cannot find one. atlantic I can get for less then 20 bucks lol yellow I already have in a QT now. all others will be QT how big are your chromis? I hear they get ugly when they get big?

just from my experience triggers are a pain usually not at first but any fish in distressed fish seems to be a target and it only get worse. in a big tank I always get the woosy fish so less problems no damsels unless chromis they are great for cheap schooling and easy to add when lost I like the sunburst anthis the dont bother anyone. tangs yellows are cheap a trio of small ones is always cool and colorfull no sailfins/regals. Powders are cool and if you can geta good achilies they are sweet for a center piece. I have had bad luck with nasos but others do fine. thats a pretty good color combo with yellow pink green blue black and orange. I always look for smaller fish that are spacific meaning stay on bottom top or mid water ,bicolor blenies, geometric pygmy hawk fish,firefish etc.

The chromis are cool fish when they are small but when they get big they are fugly hahaha. I put a dozen in my 270 when water 1st went in and I have 8-9left now. I hope they kill each other off before they get too big and fugly. They do keep your reef active though.

ya mine seem to recycle I put like 13 in and one day there is 12 the 10 then 6 months later 7 the by the end of the year I am down to 3 I dont know where they go maybe they are all in the sump ??? but I just add more and I am good for a year.

Yes..they do kill eachother off...we started with 12 about 2 yrs ago...now down to 2...and they are a pita..always pecking at me when I am in the tank...I Second a Pair of Fairy Flasher wrasses...there are so sexy together...thats my next purchase...

Back