What has happened to my tank??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tdawn66

I've had my reef tank for a few months now with no issues. My frog spawn was doing very well but today it's all sucked in and it looks to have blisters! Even my few aphtasia look like they have been fried. My sea slug did have an accident -he got himself sucked into the powerhead. Chopped him up real good - would he have released poison? Salinity good, temp good - all fish seem fine. Any Ideas??

If you think there is any way that it released toxins, start running carbon and do as large of a water change as possible, even a complete water change if need be. I think I remember reading that when sea apples die they can release toxins and kill a reef tank, not sure if that is related to your sea slug or not. Good luck!

I've had my reef tank for a few months now with no issues. My frog spawn was doing very well but today it's all sucked in and it looks to have blisters! Even my few aphtasia look like they have been fried. My sea slug did have an accident -he got himself sucked into the powerhead. Chopped him up real good - would he have released poison? Salinity good, temp good - all fish seem fine. Any Ideas??

Poison, absolutely!
Do a MASSIVE water change and run fresh quality carbon ASAP

As people has mentioned massive water change and carbon. I have heard even when a sea slug gets scared and release ink it can do mass damage to the water quality. Very cool looking, but not so good for the tank if something were to happen.

No one has mentioned any other tank levels? How is your kh and calcium? For the frog spawn of course. As far as aiptasia i kill mine with a syringe and lemon juice. 1-2mm a head. As far as the slug you should try and suck up whats left of him and any debris it might have caused in your change, and unless your sure its poisonous i wouldn't do more than a 40% change.

Update - Ca, Mg, & Iodine were all a bit low but not enough to do the damage caused. With the water change my frog spaw (and aptasia) recovered but sadly I lost 1 fish and our favorite crab. Everything else doing fine- no more slugs... and yes I removed all his remains. He was laid to rest in my trash! My LFS owner said it couldn't have been the slug; but considering the timing I think he was the culprite!

Back