What is a good set of powerheads for a 65 gal?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kmeans

I am looking to find new powerheads for my 65 gal because I feel the ones I have a two strong. What is a good brand and flow rate for this size tank? I have manly soft corals with a few sps.:confused:

You can do Maxi-jets with a mod if you're on a tight budget (even though by the time you buy everthing they're around $60.)

I have Korila's and the 3's or 4's would work good for a tank your size. They are $50-$60 depending on the model and are high flow with a very wide output.

You could also go with a wave box, but they are a several hunderd dollars, but they create very nice large currents in your tank just like the ocean has.

If money is no object then Vortech's and Tzunes' will be recommended to you.

Check & see if they have the nozzle installed or not(kind of funnel shaped adapter that fits into outlet), if so by removing it will spread the flow out quite a bit for you. If they are K4 or 5's I'm sure someone would be willing to trade out some 2's or 3's for them to upgrade thier flow.

Todd

Check & see if they have the nozzle installed or not(kind of funnel shaped adapter that fits into outlet), if so by removing it will spread the flow out quite a bit for you. If they are K4 or 5's I'm sure someone would be willing to trade out some 2's or 3's for them to upgrade thier flow.

Todd

No their is no nozzle on the end. I would be more then willing to trade, but I don't know for sure if it is a 4 or 5.

Hydors are good.

+1 on TJL. It creates a much larger area for flow.

Just mount them on opposite sides of your tank and point them at each other. (They will be pushing water long ways across your tank.)

That is how they are set up right now. I tried turing one off and my tank seems to be doing much better with less flow. My frogspawn, hammerhead, and bta are fully extended, were before they were notand my tank is clearer. That is what makes me think the flow is just too high.

I have 2-1's and a 2 or a 3 I'd trade you. They will be a year old at the end of August.

They worked pretty good in my 65. All they do is agitate the surface of the water in my 120.

I will try to take a pic, I am at work so I have to have it sent to me.

BTW...He is a she!:)

Well then She....hello there..Pics will help us greatly..:D Also..Not sure if you listed the dimensions of the tank,but that helps as well>>:)

Well 'K' it sounds as though you might have K4's or bigger, I have 2 K3's in my 75g (48x18x22) and they provide plenty of added current to my main system pump. I had to play around with them quite a bit not to blow my clams and frogspawn around to much. I have one pretty much blowing behind LR structure and the other intersecting main returns. If you do have K4's and BigBlue is willing to trade at least one of them that would be great.

Good luck, Todd

Back