What is a good timer to buy?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

i just use the timer that HD or Fred Meyers sells..works fine for me...I have my T5s on them.

intermatic was the brand i was trying to think of..saltwater city sells the original ones with red/green pegs, but fred meyer/hd sells the new model that only has two grey pegs..

I love the individual timers that you would get from Home Depot. I had the coralife dual timers and they kept sticking on me. I like the simplicity of the individual timers and the reliability. I have ran the home depot ones for almost 3 years.

Timers

I love the individual timers that you would get from Home Depot. I had the coralife dual timers and they kept sticking on me. I like the simplicity of the individual timers and the reliability. I have ran the home depot ones for almost 3 years.

How much are they ad Home Depot

like 6 bucks. Buy as many as you need. The only downside is the space they suck up. But if you have a power strip and route your wires right you can make it work. Do a search online for the amount of fires believed to be caused by the coralife timers.

I am not saying that it will catch fire. I am just stating that I have had several of them and found that the timer locks up and is not reliable. Also after researching the timer I found that they have been believed to be responsible for quite a few fires. I am sure if there is regular maintenance done on them then you should have no issues.

I know, I have been having a bad morning, sorry. I think its an ok timer and works fine for me. I think if you were to use power hungry ballast and stuff like that it could cause an issue. I think in general people over amp these thing causing alot of the problems, just like christmas lights. They cause alot of fires to untill LEDS came out, now you don't here alot about christmas light fires. Sorry for the short responsse though.

I know, I have been having a bad morning, sorry. I think its an ok timer and works fine for me. I think if you were to use power hungry ballast and stuff like that it could cause an issue. I think in general people over amp these thing causing alot of the problems, just like christmas lights. They cause alot of fires to untill LEDS came out, now you don't here alot about christmas light fires. Sorry for the short responsse though.

The reason they start fires is the cheap poor construction. The internal connections are garbage. This is nothing new, coralife timers have been starting fires for over a decade. Why they still allow them to be sold is beyond me but the same goes for many power strips. The connections are lousy to begin with then we add saltwater and humidity from tanks and they get worse and start a fire. Using power strips with soldered connections is the only way to go.

Don

I use the two plug version of this.
This three pluger is this years version.
it's made for outdoor applications (wet)
http://www.lowes.com/pd_149289-95325-LW68465_4294858445_4294937087?productId=3136285&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__4294858445_4294937087_?rpp=15$No=0$identifier=

Back