What is an onyx clown?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
they are a true percula clown with specific markings, (more black than orange in most)
of course a reason to sell for more $$$ and are much harder to find

Matt

I believe you have seen pics of the baby onyx before their markings are fully in, here is a pic of adult onyx (I borrowed from another thread on Here)

Matt

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong... I believe it's a strain of A. percula where the area between the 1st and 2nd bars (and sometimes the btw. the 2nd and 3rd) is either completely or partially filled in with black. If you run a search "onyx percula" you should find quite a few pics.

Deb
It is a genetically altered perc and they cost and arm and leg. They have had them at Liveaquriua.com. They were developed by ORA and often run $200 / pair. ORA has develoepd a few odd lookin' clowns.

You will like this :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a_W16SGOcM

46974723.DSC05723.JPG

Another odd clown they did, the Snowflake

56893541.DPP_1650.JPG

Last edited:
how did they geneticly alter a fish they are so small and i would never think of that.

Deb
It is a genetically altered perc and they cost and arm and leg. They have had them at Liveaquriua.com. They were developed by ORA and often run $200 / pair.

Actually they were developed by Bill Addison of SeaQuest. Not ORA. I an nearly certain that the ones that LA has are wild caught from PNG.

Boomer, Rod's correct. There are different black variants that are either from PNG (the onyx), or SI (black variant).

Two Percula clowns were the original parents many generations back. Technically, they are still percula clowns. As there are many different looking humans, but they are all humans: all homo sapiens, differences in appearance is just that. Once can name the different trait and many are willing to pay extra for these specific traits. The differences are tiny tiny barely noticable genetic markers. Many of out hot colored corals are from the same parents as less brightly colored wild stock.

As with any creature, some offspring look a bit different. Some of these traits can be selectively bred until dominant or at least prevalent.Selective breeding is attempting to make more desirable traits more common in the offspring. Many of todays common species started out as a "mutant" offspring.

half-oced clown :>)

I would call it a false perc, but depending on any specific color variant resulted, you could name the offspring whatever you wanted. I have gotten some green millipora growing from a rose Milli parent. I call it green Milli.

My dog snickers is a dappled doxie, came from standard doxie parents. Not safe to breed full breed dapples with same, often creates unhealthy offspring (bad mutations) Somebody called this color strain "dappled". It is still simply a dachshund. Some are dark colored, some light, some long hair, etc. I have blue eyes, my dad's eyes were brown. You can call me a blue eye, I prefer being referred to as human.

ok i have a question :p.
what if you get baby percula clowns from an onyx couple...would the baby percs breed onyx when the time comes :p :lol: ?

OK guys in error on the Onyx but those Snowflakes are no normal variants and are genetic mutants. Genetic engineering, genetically altered or selective breeding is all the same.

i don't like snoflakes and whatever :p.

i'll call mine... wanna be onyx :lol: :lol: j/k .

well i saw my wanna be onyx since they were just tiny dots and so they have grown love in my heart... true or not true onyx... i love my babies :) .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back